Anyone Know About Honda Ridgeline?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Ridgline and Pilot share the same drive train. They are great for 99% of what most people will use a AWD for. I was surprised how well they will tow a travel trailer. They are not a 3/4 ton high boy, but they are a whole lot more reliable then one. My sister is still driving it with almost 200k on it. Oil, tires and brakes at 150k. Can;t beat that.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've been looking at a Oreion Sand Reeper for a similar purpose. http://www.atvriders.com/atvnews/oreion-motors-2012-sand-reeper-utv-sxs.html

www.atvriders.com_images_oreion_motors_oreion_motors_2011_sand_reeper_utv_sxs_front.jpg

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
determined rednecks right here in NE OK take a Dodge Neon around the Illinois River Bottom places it should never see.

that brings back memories in college of me taking my neon hunting and fishing....People were amazed where i could get that thing with some finesse driving! Then i upgraded to a much better offroad machine. 4 banger s-10...Now I have an actual 4wd gmc half ton

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as picking one for offroad reasons then I am not a fan. They are low to the ground for one. The AWD system is primary front wheel drive and it will transfer some torque to the rear wheels to prevent slippage and also use the ABS system to apply braking force to wheels that slip. There is a button on the dash that locks the rear in but it will only lock in at slow speeds true lock speed is 6mph and below, and as speed increases the torque bias decreases from 6mph to 18mph, over 18mph the lock function does nothing, actually the true lock function becomes useless above 6mph on these. This could be a problem in loose terrain like mud, snow, sand etc. It might be a good AWD system but its by far not the typical 4wd system.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a ridgeline for a couple years now...I love it. I don't take it off road, mudding, or rock crawling, but I'm pretty sure it can handle any normal driving and do pretty well in some snow, mud, or whatever. (again....not extreme off roading) It can be lifted, but not more than 2". People love them or hate them just like anything else. I've got about 85k on mine, and I expect it to go another zillion miles with a little maintenance.

Droberts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
dunno if mentioned yet, but as an owner of both a subaru and a jeep i can highly advise AGAINST getting an AWD vehicle lacking a 4WLow transfer case.

subarus and other AWD vehicles are nice, but they will NOT go where a 4 wheel low vehicle will. i've tried and failed on more than one occasion.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Ridgline and Pilot share the same drive train. They are great for 99% of what most people will use a AWD for. I was surprised how well they will tow a travel trailer. They are not a 3/4 ton high boy, but they are a whole lot more reliable then one. My sister is still driving it with almost 200k on it. Oil, tires and brakes at 150k. Can;t beat that.

You're 99% correct in your assessment - but the Ridgeline does not use the same drivetrain as the Pilot; the RL's is slightly larger and beefier. I agree with other comments in this thread that if you want or need a true off-road vehicle, get a Jeep. But, if you drive mainly on pavement; like a very quiet ride with no bouncing and jiggling around like in a body-on-frame F150 or Silverado; would like another storage area underneath the bed; a factory dual-action tailgate; a pickup that's much easier to park and maneuver in tight spaces than a full-size pickup but can still carry five adults comfortably; the reliability of a Honda; and the best handling vehicle on snow and ice then get a Ridgeline. And tell your sister she should really change her oil more often than every 150K miles. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom