Anyone Know About Honda Ridgeline?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have had Honda's for 33 plus years, but got a Toyota 90 Ext cab 4WD when I started to get back to hunting, did not off road for the fun of it in it, but went some places only a good 4WD could go. Sold it Jan of '11 and got a 2011 just like I had, plain jane ext cab 4WD because I had the hunting truck and a Honda CRV did not need both so sold both of them, got the new one for the auto transmission and more conformtable seats for my old back. Looked at the Ridgeline when they came out but too good of experience with the Toyota. My old Toyota is still around owned by friends. Did have to use the Honda CRV for deer hunting one year, yep the deer fit in the back. OH the 2011 6 cyl is rated 16 and 20 MGP, but I consistently get 20 even in the city, but I don't speed most of the time.

KenL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Backstrap pretty much nailed it. I own 2 Ridgelines and can vouch for them. Definitely a truck that drives and feels like a car. Zero wheel hop, or side step while turning/accelerating on rough pavement (straight axle guys know what I'm talking about here). I've carried a pallet of sod (1 ton+) in the bed of mine. The lockable waterproof trunk in the bed is bigger than the trunk in many cars. Turn off the traction control (anti-spin is dangerous if you ask me) and it goes through snow and ice as well as, or better than most anything else out there. I've gone through lots and lots of deep mud and never been stuck. Push the button to lock the axles & turn off the anti-spin and you will not get stuck. Over 160K miles on one and 100+ on the other and I haven't spent a dime on anything but tires and regular maintenance items.

As far as cons, it's sure not the best looking thing on the road. Also, the V6 is too anemic for long distance hauling. It needs RPMs to make any power. It will pull a heavy trailer just fine around town, but at turnpike speeds (75 mph) it wants to turn at about 5 grand to maintain speed at any hint of an incline.

Yeah, I'd rather have a nice Super Duty, but I think I'll just keep my little wanna-be truck for another hundred thousand or two.

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Definitely a truck that drives and feels like a car.

I'd call it a car that resembles a truck.

Just out of curiosity for those owning RLs, how well does that in-bed trunk and dual action tailgate work after hauling a load of sand or gravel in the bed? I'm not flaming, I'm actually curious. If they can't stand up to it, then I'm not interested. If they can, then this is something "real" trucks should incorporate.

Personally, I can't get past the ugliness.

KenL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess you can call it whatever you want, but put a pallet of sod in your other "car" and let me know how it works out.

As far as the trunk, after hauling a load of sand you're better off using an airhose to blow the sand out of the weatherstrip before you open it if you don't want a little bit sneaking in.

The dual action tailgate has an advantage with gravel in that you can open it to the side and let the stuck pieces fall out.

"Ugliness"... That's the word I was looking for. It is ugly, but I got past that.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on blowing out the bed with compressed air after hauling dirt; gravel; etc. Or just go by the self car wash and wash it out with the high-pressure wand - that works great. No matter what you haul in the bed you're going to scratch it up - bed is lined with a black composite material that wears well, but shows every little scratch. It's a pickup, though, and that's why I got it and how I use it.

daugbl5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seen a RL go head on into a car at a very high rate of speed once and the guy was actually fine not even a broke bone... Pretty impressive I thought. My mom had one of these things and it was a good lil truck but I definitely got it stuck more than once on roads my super duty handles well on..

riper1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ridgelines are not off a road vehicle but dirt mud ice snow they will get you as well or better than any toyota will, toyotas and jeeps are better off road vehicles for sure but dont under estimate what a ridgline will do with mud terrain tires, there 4WD system works only in 1st and 2nd gear which is plenty fast if the roads are bad, when it snows again watch a ridgeline there unstoppable in snow or ice.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
there 4WD system works only in 1st and 2nd gear which is plenty fast if the roads are bad, when it snows again watch a ridgeline there unstoppable in snow or ice.

What?? It's a full-time 4WD system that works in every gear and at every speed. What you must be referring to is their VTM-4 (axle) lock, which only works in D2, D1, or reverse, and will automatically turn off when speed reaches 18mph or higher. But you are right about how they work in snow or ice.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for a 4wd to hunt in. Never thought of one of these before today but saw one of these and they look pretty cool. Interior seems layed out handy and still had a small bed for bags of wet decoys and blinds. Who can argue with a built in ice chest.

They don't seem to have much ground clearance though. Can you have one lifted? Main thing I'm wondering though is about the AWD. Is the AWD on this as handy as 4wd for driving through pastures and muddy roads etc during hunting season? Provided it was lifted a few inches to provide more clearance.

I'd like to hear from some of you who've owned one or know someone who does and how they feel about it.

If you are looking at one of those for a primary hunting rig, then I would definately look for something else. You would be better served by a true pickup.

Latest posts

Top Bottom