Anyone own a Kel-Tec P11?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never handled one and would like information from anyone who owns one or shot one?

Buy or not? Looking for an economical pistol.....

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had one, traded it off for a loss. Hated it. Long heavy trigger, didn't like the way it fit my hand, just didn't like the gun. That being said, alot of guys like the P3AT?

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are a snappy shooter with +p ammo. It has a long trigger pull and is a little heavy on the pull. You can add a pinky extension to the mag as well as use 12 and 15 round S&W mags in them. Keltec sells a sleeve to slide over these mags to fill in the grip area when using these mags. It is a gun you have to get use to because of the long trigger pull and I would always shoot it last at the gun range. Your hands feels it after shooting it awhile. The gun is more accurate than you will be able to shoot it offhand because of the trigger. It is a true DAO pistol, which means it has second strike capability or third or however many times you pull the trigger. It is a cheaper gun than most, some people think they're junk, I disagree with that having had 2 of them. If you get the chance to dry fire one, do it to see if you like the trigger. Ask first and have a snap cap in case. Shoot one if you can. I recommend them.

WAC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It fits nicely in your pocket and holds a lot of ammo for the size of pistol it is. It has an 11 pound trigger pull which is way too much even for defensive use. The weight of the trigger makes trigger control difficult. I am thinking about trying to have the trigger pull reduced to around 5 pounds. That said I'd be happy to sell you mine cheap!

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't shot either of them, but I have held the P-11 and researched both extensively.

If I had to choose between the two I'd go with the P-11. It's older and heavier, but it's the only Kel-Tec with a true double action only setup. The PF9's slide has to be brought back a little if you want to reset the hammer, same as with most striker fired "DAO" pistols (Glocks, XDs, Kahrs, etc...) Taurus has a true DAO.

But the P-11 also has more capacity and most likely more manageable recoil.

I think reliability would be the same with both.

I've met people who swear by their KTs and I've met people who gave theirs an honest chance and came to the conclusion that they weren't going to put their lives in the hands of that particular pistol.

I've heard of (in both models) the firing pin breaking after only a few hundred rounds. On the plus side I've also heard that Kel-Tec's customer service is great, and it something breaks they'll send you a new part for free ASAP.

I also would note that some of them aren't quite "battle ready" straight out of the factory. They require a "fluff and buff" to get the pistol in reliable condition.

But, I think that as with most pistol, if you take care of it and give it a proper breaking in it'll serve you well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom