Anyone own a Kel-Tec P11?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom K

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never handled one and would like information from anyone who owns one or shot one?

Buy or not? Looking for an economical pistol.....

I have owned a P11 since '95 (bought the first one I ever saw) and keep one in my car. It's a long, heavy trigger pull at the range, but reasonably smooth.

About a year ago I pulled up to my father-in-law's place in the country and saw an armadillo in the headlights. Luckily I had been doing some construction so I had earmuffs in the car as well. I put 'em on, pulled out the KT and my flashlight. I got to about thirty feet from him before he looked alert, and moved just as I pulled the trigger and I missed. Without pausing I tracked him and stroked the trigger again and plugged him. Also gave him a coup de grace in the head.

Turned out there was anothe one around, and I got him as well. It was on the opposite side of a junk pickup, and rather than chasing him around I lay on my belly and dispatched him also. Ammo was CCI-Speer Blazer 115gr hollowpoints.

Anyway, the moral is that while it's a tough gun to target shoot with, it seems to handle just fine in an actual firing situation (although the armadillos weren't shooting back, and it certainly helped to have earmuffs on!) It's probably a best-buy in terms of bang for your buck. It's less expensive than its competitors and works fine, at least in my experience.

That said, I also like the Kel-Tec PF-9 as a carry gun. It's a little more money but it's also flatter, and I like thin. Haven't tried the new flat 9mm Taurus yet, but it's even more costly.

Just my two cents.

Okie0831

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own a P11, in fact it is laying on the desk as I type this. I bought it last Feb at a gunshow in OKC. Paid 269 + tax. Took my CC class with it and have put about 500 rounds through it without any problems. As stated above, there is a fluff & buff that can be down to these little pistols (check out www.ktog.com) but mine is just as it came out of the box a year ago. I have carried it daily since receiving my CCL, and with monthly trips to the range, have gotten use to the trigger pull. For a pistol without a manual safety, I like the fact that the pull is 8.5 lbs. It has loosened up probably about a pound or so from the range trips, but again if im in a hurry and just clip it on my belt IWB, Im not worried about a light trigger.

If you can get a chance to fire one, take it, I think you will like it.

riper1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a P-11 bought from a menber here for 250.00 nib have shot several times, this gun is acurate @ 7yrds, holds 11 rounds, easy to carry, once you put a couple hunded rds through it the trigger becomes manageable, dont do it all at once though your finger will be sore, overall no jams after break in, (200rds) 9mm is as small a caliber i want to carry, so if your looking for a cheap reliable small pistol you cant go wrong.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but Kel-Tec doesn't recommend firing +P ammo in their guns very often. I hear it's okay to put a few +P rounds through it, and have them in there when you're carrying it, but it creates a heck of a lot more wear and tear. Again, I haven't shot one, just repeating what I'd heard from current owners when I was researching it.

BuddyL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Magnificence POS. Bought on Saturday sold on Sunday. Jamamatic and HARD trigger pull. Oh, did I say HARD trigger pull. Mag springs only allowed 5 rounds in it. Oh, did I say HARD trigger pull. Good size and good idea it just did not work at all. Oh, did never mind.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Magnificence POS. Bought on Saturday sold on Sunday. Jamamatic and HARD trigger pull. Oh, did I say HARD trigger pull. Mag springs only allowed 5 rounds in it. Oh, did I say HARD trigger pull. Good size and good idea it just did not work at all for me. Oh, did never mind.

There I fixed it. I'm guessing here and am going to say it is probably your age. If I'm wrong, sorry.

BuddyL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There I fixed it. I'm guessing here and am going to say it is probably your age. If I'm wrong, sorry.

Sad to say with Degenerative Disk Disease, 67 years, bah bah.....
You are probably correct to some degree, however, I bought the gun for my wife who is much younger and prettier, she could not make it go bang either. If I stepped on you favorite pistol, please forgive my harsh comments and insensitivity. Anyway she likes her Glock much better. Have a day.
Bud

Donald

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got the P11 first. Yes it does have a long trigger pull. And being light weight it does have a snappy recoil. I put a Houge slip on grip, trimmed, on it and that helps. Fully loaded I found it too heavy for full time carry. So I got a P3AT in .380. Still pretty long trigger pull. But light weight and easy to carry in pocket. Hollow points some times don't feed good. Take apart and smooth out the feed ramp, presto, no more feeding problems with either. I shoot cast bullets in the P11 and no feeding problems. Yes there are "prettier" pistols out there, but you pay for them. Tauras has come out with a new thin .380 that looks nice and not much higher in price. Haven't hefted one yet. All in all I am satisfied with my Kel Tecs. If I had paid $500-600 for them, yes I would be unhappy. Paid $260 for the P11 and $239 for the P3AT. Can't beat the price/size. And they go bang everytime I pull the trigger. The P9 is a nice one too. Just about right for CC. It is even lighter than the P11 so I imagine recoil is snappy on it also. Don't expect a small light weight pistol in 9mm to be comfortable to shoot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom