Anyone reloading 8x57 mauser with 175's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I have a few hundred 175gn pulls for my German 8mm that I have been meaning to start load development on. They look to be Privi Partisan bullets, so I don't know that there is any factory load data available. Anyone here loaded 175's in their 8x57? Will probably work up with Sierra data, but curious to see what others might have observed or experienced.

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had to pull out my library, about 1980 the name was changed to 8 x 57 JS , the 2021 11 edition Hornady book has 170 gr RN , SST page 650. This the best I can do , factory rarely releases their data so you need to work up a load as close to factory as you can , Hope this is of any help .

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most factory loading for 8x57 in the US are seriously under loaded (Krag ballistics) because of the large number of 88 style actioned rifles in circulation to this day. For what its worth PPU offers two loading here in the US one is the weaker loaded hunting ammo with soft points and another which replicates military loading . Which 175 grain bullet do you have SP or FMJ ?

Assuming your German 8mm is a 98 or other modern action such as a Sauer you can load the 8x57 to significantly better performance levels than most of the factory loaded offerings, as far as loading data goes you can use published load data and work your way up past the max in half grain increments watching for pressure signs .

Latest posts

Top Bottom