Apprentice Licenses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tell me about apprentice licenses.

My 11 year old daughter has never had any interest in hunting but has all of a sudden decided she might want to come up with me one weekend to see what it's all about (personally, I don't think it's going to happen but want to have my bases covered). She hasn't had hunter's ed, but I read somewhere that OK now has an apprentice license for kids or folks that just haven't had hunter's ed.

I tried calling Ben Bickerstaff this morning to find out the legalities but didn't get him, so I decided to ask the experts on here.

I would be the happiest Dad in the world if she decided to hunt with me, but I'm not holding my breath...:nolike:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure if there's any snafu with her being a NR, but I know like in my son's case, he was 7yo when he shot his deer two seasons ago, had not had HE, because you have to be 10yo to take it now I believe. When my daughter took it, if you could read the test, it didn't matter how young you were.

So she should just need a tag designated as it being an apprentice deer tag, and she has to be with you during the hunt. Hopefully she'll join you, my daughter and I have the best time while in field, wouldn't trade it for anything.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hunters 30yrs old and younger may buy the apprentice-designated hunting license. They must hunt with an accompanying hunter who is 18 yrs or older, licensed, and hunter ed certified (unless exempt). For big game hunting the accompanying hunter must be within arms length of the apprentice hunter or close enough to take immediate control of the firearm or bow from the apprentice. For small game hunting they must be within eye sight of each other AND be able to communicate in a normal voice without aid.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hunters 30yrs old and younger may buy the apprentice-designated hunting license. They must hunt with an accompanying hunter who is 18 yrs or older, licensed, and hunter ed certified (unless exempt). For big game hunting the accompanying hunter must be within arms length of the apprentice hunter or close enough to take immediate control of the firearm or bow from the apprentice. For small game hunting they must be within eye sight of each other AND be able to communicate in a normal voice without aid.
I've read the "rules", but I want to make sure there's no hidden disclaimers that might bite me in the butt. I left Bickerstaff a message but haven't got a return call yet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom