AR 10 question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
See post #2 in this thread for my suggestion.

What's the major differences that aid in reliability? Rather what should someone look for if reliability is of importance. Would you personally trust one for SHTF? Deciding between this and other .308 platforms.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the major differences that aid in reliability? Rather what should someone look for if reliability is of importance. Would you personally trust one for SHTF? Deciding between this and other .308 platforms.

This is totally up to you and what is important to you in terms of specs and price. I tried the dpms slick side Lr-308 and hated it. Felt cheap and accuracy was poor. After the third malfunction I cleaned it and took it to the gun show. My brothers Armalite AR-10 has been flawless, materials and manufacturing seem far superior to the dpms. Accuracy has been much better with various ammo, I supposed that dues the the barrel being better. The trigger sucks but they all do. I like the forward assist on the AR-10's. I will always have a forward assist. All you need to do is google search and do some research on your own to see a reoccurring pattern in terms of reliability. I believe it be ause I have seen it first hand.

Don't you know SHTF isn't real? SHTF is to grown men what playing army is to little boys. To answer your question, no I would not want a 11+ pound rifle and heavy expensive loud heavy recoiled ammo for SHTF. I want something common, quiet, and light. Oh and reliable.

The LaRue OBR is the way to go in terms of .308's in the AR style platform, but it's kinda pricey. But worth it from what I've read. No first hand experience sadly.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't you know SHTF isn't real? SHTF is to grown men what playing army is to little boys.

Ignorance is bliss for sure, but SHTF can mean a number of scenarios that can and do happen. It was honestly meant as a measure of reliability question, as research steers me towards other platforms and you sounded like you knew something I could reference. Just wanted to know specifically what you think one should look for in these ARs.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked at a few DPMS slick sides, but like wormy I had to have forward assist and a dust cover, I still went with DPMS and if you take care of the rifle it will take care of you

Spata

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can get dpms 308 rifles with forward assist and a dust cover for less than $1k and as far as reliability goes, I have put over 8000 rounds through mine since november and it still goes boom every time i pull the trigger.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen a DPMS brand AR-10 in use at a couple 3-Gun matches, and it performed perfectly, but I have no idea what kind of long-term reliability to expect. The guy shooting it is someone I respect for having good taste in guns, but I would take Wormy's suggestion to heart, he knows a lot about these things and is an incredible shooter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom