ar-15, glock 17, colt 1911 with brass and steel ammo SHTF situtation.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebel-son

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ok here is a good one I have been thinking of that I am hoping someone can help me out with. As many of you know there are communists, athiests ( some are patriots) though and anti-Americans out there who want to take our guns at worst and at best limit our rights. You probably also know ammo prices have gone crazy and I am sitting on a small stash of brass 9mm and 45 with a chance periodically to pick up more. I also have some steel cased wolf ammo.

So here is my thought since I need prepping gear and the economy sucks. i am thinking of unloading the brass ammo ( most of it) on gunbroker and so forth since I can't see charging those prices on a forum. This will leave me replacing much of my brass case with steel case 9mm and .223 and I am wondering in a shtf situation should I be ok. I have 1,000 rounds of .223 that I have no plans to use unles shtf. I have 250 rounds of 9mm steel and another 500 rounds of 9mm i figure I will sock away and 250 rounds of 45 acp. They would be between me and my wife with both of us having ar15s and 9mm. SHe does not shoot the .45.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Selling ammo you have now, hoping to replace it down the road with steel or anything else is a gamble. It' doesn't sound like you have much right now. Bird in the hand.

rebel-son

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Actually I was going to replace it with steel as I sell it. For example if I get a 100 round box of 45 at $41 and it goes for say %65 on gun broker and I can replace the 45 with steel for like $30 I would have a bit of a net profit there.

Like I said its jsut a though while people are paying huge prices.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would not sell anything right now, and wish I hadn't sold my the ammo I did a few months ago. The margins are small vs the hassle factor and replacement time/cost.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would not sell anything right now, and wish I hadn't sold my the ammo I did a few months ago. The margins are small vs the hassle factor and replacement time/cost.

Don't sell unless you buy the replacement FIRST!
I considered selling a case of 5k 22lr I've got, but how would I replace it?
what if the ammo is double or triple the crazy prices in a year or so??
sell for a quick buck now and regret it later.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like ssgrock said, I doubt you'll find a workable margin between brass and steel right now. Ammo is ammo. Keep it if you don't have enough. Sell it if you have excess and need to free up $$ for other priorities.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never had any issues with steel cased ammo -- frankly, I don't know why so many people have an issue with it. For what it is used for by the majority of shooters, the lesser consistency and accuracy is a non-issue. The 'extra wear' issue for the cases is a myth. The barrel wear from the bimetal projectiles is negligible.

From my perspective, it is all factory ammo that all has use in both SHTF and for fun/sport/practice. Some of it is just less expensive than other stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom