AR-15 Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Dog 65

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Went coyote hunting today. Seen nothing. Started to sprikle. Decided to shoot some targets before heading home.
Problem I had with my Bushmaster Model XM15-E2S, .223 Cal. was it would throw out the Wolf brand cartridge after the shot but would not cycle the next cartridge out of the PMAG magazine back into the gun. Had to use the charging handle every time. Gun is cleaned and oiled. Used different magazine and it still wouldn't cycle. Any suggestions. I just can shoot but can't fix.

RobC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like it is short stroking. Of course, Wolf is notoriously underpowered, so this is not surprising. Try some quality 5.56 (not .223) and see how it runs.

The other thing that I would check is to make sure that the gas key is tight. If the screws have backed out due to non-existent or poor staking, you should tighten and stake them.

Rob

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went coyote hunting today. Seen nothing. Started to sprikle. Decided to shoot some targets before heading home.
Problem I had with my Bushmaster Model XM15-E2S, .223 Cal. was it would throw out the Wolf brand cartridge after the shot but would not cycle the next cartridge out of the PMAG magazine back into the gun. Had to use the charging handle every time. Gun is cleaned and oiled. Used different magazine and it still wouldn't cycle. Any suggestions. I just can shoot but can't fix.

Did you try a different magazine?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can get some quality .223 and perform basically the same test (only without having to order online or go to a big city that has a gun shop that sells 5.56) can't you?

I don't know how Lawton is for gun shops, but I'm in the boonies and its an hour to Tulsa to get anything - if I'm not already heading that way, I just hit up the local spots (and none of them have 5.56).

Big Dog 65

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Tried a different magazine and it still didn't cycle. Appriciate the web site. I am going to try 223 rem Federal Premium 55 grain sierra gameking BTHP cartridge and see if that helps. Might have to travel to OKC. They have a gun shop in Duncan called Murf's Gun that might have 5.56. Thanks everybody.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tried a different magazine and it still didn't cycle. Appriciate the web site. I am going to try 223 rem Federal Premium 55 grain sierra gameking BTHP cartridge and see if that helps. Might have to travel to OKC. They have a gun shop in Duncan called Murf's Gun that might have 5.56. Thanks everybody.

Honestly, if the Federal Wal-Mart bulk-pack won't make it cycle, you've got an issue.

Could be dirty, loose gas key, loose/offset gas block, problem with your buffer/spring, etc...

Doesn't hurt to field strip the weapon and check everything just in case before putting anymore rounds through it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom