AR-15 Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChaseOK

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Tried a different magazine and it still didn't cycle. Appriciate the web site. I am going to try 223 rem Federal Premium 55 grain sierra gameking BTHP cartridge and see if that helps. Might have to travel to OKC. They have a gun shop in Duncan called Murf's Gun that might have 5.56. Thanks everybody.

Murf's does have some Federal Lake City XM193 55gr 5.56 in stock.

Beercules

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One little word of caution I didn't see mentioned...you state in the OP that it is a .223 rifle, make sure your gun is actually chambered in 5.56 (or other suitable chamber such as Wylde) before you run 5.56 through it. As mentioned, the 5.56 is a hotter round. It can actually exceed the specs of .223 making it unsafe to fire. Both links posted earlier explain it. Have fun and be safe!

PS...my initial thought is short stroke due to underpowered ammo as well. But make sure you're running sufficient lube as well, as the AR/M16 platform needs plenty to run well and keep running.

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm no expert but I'm betting on a gas issue of some sort like EZ pointed out. I'd check the gas key first then the rings and then the gas block / tube... Seems like there have been a few QC issues with the gas port in the barrel or block recently too, although I don't recall hearing about any with Bushmater. There is also the possiblilty that there is a problem with the buffer, tube, spring... maybe binding or a really heavy buffer slowing things down too much?

Latest posts

Top Bottom