AR-15 Purchase: Carbon vs Metall constuction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyedoc

New to the site!
Reaction score
Looking to buy an AR 15 for my wife to use. Want to make light and fun yet durable. Any thoughts on carbon fiber vs metal receiver? Was looking at these two models from Bushmaster. Also what are the best mag materials, plastic, metal, nylon, etc?

Thanks

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want durable then stay away from the carbon 15. While some will argue that composite lower receivers have their place, very few will argue for composite uppers. I am saying this having owned a carbon 15 in the past, and while it was enjoyable and light, it was not something I would recommend to anyone, ever.

The best mags for the ar platform that I have used are 30 rd. magpul pmags, followed by G.I. aluminum 30 rd. mags with the magpul follower.

To answer any better than this I would have to know what you intend to use the rifle for, under what type of conditions, and an approximate budget. Keep in mind that better rifles than Bushmaster are available for the same or slightly more cash.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used all metal ARs for years (in the military) but have recently, lets say the last two years, assembled and used several composite lower with light-weight conventional uppers and found that this combination makes for a fun, easy to carry rifle.

I have yet to see a significant drawback from the composite lower, however, if I were considereing extreme cold use such as in Alaska in winter I might be a little leery of the composite as they may have a tendency to get brittle in extreme cold.

The composite lowers also basically save you $100.00 or more off of a conventional lower at typical prices.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Having had both carbon and alloy AR's, I will only have alloy AR's from now on. To me, the weight savings is not enough to overcome the negatives.

The best way to keep an AR light is to use a light stock, light forend and pencil barrel.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a plum crazy lower. My .22 upper is on it and my wife loves to shoot it. The weight savings really isn't that significant with the lower. As mentioned the most weight you can save is in the barrel and handguard, as that's where the most leverage will be needed to hold a heavy rifle and where most women and kids have problems. 16" LW midlwngth gas with 11" Troy TRX handguard and an H-1 would make a light and handy rifle and still be a viable weapon for defense, classes, competition, and hunting. Do it.

Glock31

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any specific use? I would go with a alloy. Just shy away from pimpin it out and weigt isn't a issue. Get e removable carry handle and put flip up sights. That will shed some weight as well.

eyedoc

New to the site!
Reaction score
Excellent suggestions. The rifle will mainly be used for hunting but if called on to use in a pinch I want it to be durable and dependable. DPMS was mentioned; any other "tried and true" brands to recommend? Also any other "tried and untrue" brands to stay away from? I have an ACOG TA31F I will be putting on it, I would like the ability to use iron sight if optic failure; other than that I am open to suggestions as I am new to AR's in that I have never owned one. Thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom