AR B.U.I.S choices?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okieshooter6

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Will your front sight base be a fixed A1 A2 type sight? If not, will the FSB (gas block) be at the same height as the flat top of the receiver. I have found that although upper receiver manufacturers say they are mil spec, there are receivers that seem to vary a bit on the height of the picatinny rail. If the FSB and picatinny rail are at the same height then Magpuls are a great way to go. If your mounting to a quad rail handguard, then once again it is important to see if the top rail and the upper reciever picatinny are on the same plane. I have a drawer full of cheap sights I thought would work out for me on different builds, but then found out I wasted time and money on them. Good Luck!

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I like to do a lot of iron sight shooting... I really enjoy irons, and I believe it is important to keep up your skills with them. So when I was looking for a flip-up rear sight, I wanted one that did everything the factory carry handle rear sight did... chiefly, having adjustable elevation as well as windage. Most flip-up rear sights only have adjustable windage.

I ended up getting the KAC 2-600m model, which adjusts in MOA-incremented clicks and has BDC markings on it, just like the factory rear sight. It is a really neat compact design, and is very high quality. They are about as expensive as flip-up rear sights get, though. If you want a cheaper alternative that does almost as much, there is the Matech BUIS... they are what the military uses. They have a BDC lever on the side that adjusts elevation for various distances out to 600m. They are not MOA-incremented clicks, though... just standard come-ups for mil spec ball ammo.

Considering the price of the Matech, I really don't see a reason to go with any of the flip-up sights that don't have any elevation adjustment. The Matech is high quality and is as cheap or cheaper than most of the others out there. Or if you want the very best, go with the KAC.

csiedmond1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Will your front sight base be a fixed A1 A2 type sight? If not, will the FSB (gas block) be at the same height as the flat top of the receiver. I have found that although upper receiver manufacturers say they are mil spec, there are receivers that seem to vary a bit on the height of the picatinny rail. If the FSB and picatinny rail are at the same height then Magpuls are a great way to go. If your mounting to a quad rail handguard, then once again it is important to see if the top rail and the upper reciever picatinny are on the same plane. I have a drawer full of cheap sights I thought would work out for me on different builds, but then found out I wasted time and money on them. Good Luck!

I have a fixed front sight, think I'll buy a Troy Battlesight once I find the one I want!

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"All models regulate with mil-spec A2 carbine sights or same-height aftermarket sights"
I get the impression that it might not work with a flat top upper and M4 barrel.

I have 2 of these Brownells BUIS's. One is mounted on a 20" Barreled Flattop with a standard FSB and the other is on a 12.5" Barreled Flattop with an "F" FSB. Both have been sighted in with no issues and neither required one of the .040" higher front sight posts that are sometimes needed with BUIS's. YMMV

Latest posts

Top Bottom