AR being uncooperative

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never had this problem, and I've built nearly a dozen FrankenARs so far. Even had an 18" rifle gas AR with A2 rifle buffer system. It was a CMMG barrel.

Franken guns used to be a problem when specs weren't so common. Most people don't have problems with builds now.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the gas port was measured at 0.093, so it shouldn't be the issue. The gas block was reseated, but but next time I go to the range, I'll take another gas block and a couple other brands of ammo, and if those measures don't work, another AR to try the 18" upper on the second lower and see what happens. If all those fail, I'll try drilling out the gas port a tad and go from there.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the gas port was measured at 0.093, so it shouldn't be the issue. The gas block was reseated, but but next time I go to the range, I'll take another gas block and a couple other brands of ammo, and if those measures don't work, another AR to try the 18" upper on the second lower and see what happens. If all those fail, I'll try drilling out the gas port a tad and go from there.
.093 is on the low side of the port size range so that actually could still be the issue (though it may not be)

Another lower wont make a difference as far as cycling.

What is that Champion 62gr? Is that Federal Champion, or is Champion the brand?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the ammo I tried. Guardian is actually the brand apparently, but it's been several years since I bought it so I can't recall from whence it came. It ran just fine in the 14.5" p/w AR I took along for comparison purposes.

IMG_2168.JPG

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the ammo I tried. Guardian is actually the brand apparently, but it's been several years since I bought it so I can't recall from whence it came. It ran just fine in the 14.5" p/w AR I took along for comparison purposes.

View attachment 103224
OK, It runs fine with the Gold. Try some other 62gr ammo and see how it does. It may just be **** ammo. That box certainly looks super cheap. I have never even heard of that stuff myself.

I tend to stuck with Federal, IMI, Igman and Win Q3131

Latest posts

Top Bottom