AR gas pressure question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only shoot Fed/LC M193 or Win Q3131 (which is also loaded to M193 spec) in my M16 and AR's. I have been shooting them since the early 90's and have fired 10's of thousands of rounds. In all of that time I have never had the issue you describe.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

If you were having this issue, would you do anything? Is this a major concern?

After looking into it a bit more, I'm thinking it may be that the XM193, being the M193 rejects, doesn't have the quality control it should, and other people are experiencing similar and other issues with this ammo, especially in certain lot numbers. I need to check my lots.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

If you were having this issue, would you do anything? Is this a major concern?

After looking into it a bit more, I'm thinking it may be that the XM193, being the M193 rejects, doesn't have the quality control it should, and other people are experiencing similar and other issues with this ammo, especially in certain lot numbers. I need to check my lots.

Unless it was actually ripping the rims off of the case, I would not worry about it. If you are saving the brass for reloading, just cull out the ones that have the extractor marks.

I do agree that ammo QC is not what it once was due to the current demand.

I have a friend who chronographed several different 55gr FMJ factory loads and he said Prvi M193 ammo came in 50-75FPS slower than XM193. You might try some of it since it should have slightly lower pressure. It is usually cheaper then Fed. or Win. as well.

Glocker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not to mention, try three or four different brands of ammo and see what happens.
Sometimes the ammo makes all the difference.

Latest posts

Top Bottom