AR Optic Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlt7272

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have googled this already but wold like the local opinion. Going to set up my new AR for deer. I usually use magnified optics but was wondering is anyone uses a red dot and if so, which one? Been looking at the vortex strikefire.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
A hunting friend has been using the strikefire on his bushmaster predator .223 for the last two seasons and is going to something with more magnification for this year. He gave the scope an A+ but just wanted more magnification. He hunts primarily open country and CRP grass. I shouldered it a few times and glass looked good.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
An AR for deer? That's not very traditional. Next thing you know, you'll want to use a suppressor for hunting!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)

Seriously, do you only hunt thick brush? If not, do you carry binos or a monocular for "glassing"? If not, I'd recommend sticking with a magnified variable power optic with a low bottom magnification. Vortex does make some good ones and you can get them with illumination as well.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My buddy has an Aimpoint red dot on his AR. If you are shooting 100 yards and under, I would not hesitate to pull the trigger using it. If you're shooting much farther than that, I can see where it might be a little tricky. I say go for it. Makes for quick target acquisition if you find yourself amongst a bunch of pigs too!

Latest posts

Top Bottom