Ar parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got some questions, on a charging handle is a bcm gunfighter worth the extra dollars and how do the different sizes help or is it what ever feels best. And a gas block, adjustable or not for a 5.56/.223 build?

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From my understanding, unless you are running exotic rounds or a system that you will be adding and removing a suppressor an adjustable gas block will not be as justifiable if you have a properly made barrel. I have a 16" with a carbine gas system and it does not have any gas issues I can see. The gas port drilled in the barrel is just the right size to meter the gas into the system and most will be done that way.

As far as the BCM charging handles I paid the extra for the large latch and am glad I did. I have a scope that sits very close to the latch point and to grab the smaller latch would be a MAJOR PITA with a standard size latch. I also figured that the redesign they did on the connection point between the latch and handle that removes the stress off of the roll pin will be worth while in the long run. YMMV but I figured I may as well spend a couple extra bucks now than to buy a cheapo and then end up spending more later on to make it the way I wanted.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Big fan of the larger latches. I dunno about the whole charging handle, but that's how I've always bought them. You could probably do just fine with the bigger latch only. I have the BCM handle on 3 or 4 of my rifles and will eventually put them on all of them.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check out the Rainier Raptor Charging Handle, it's solid and works awesome. It's worth the money.

As far as gas blocks go, I use an adjustable on almost all my builds just so I can fine tune them but it's not necessary.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The CH latch and design will depend on how you intend to manipulate the CH. Single handed can end up bending the CH if you only have a larger latch. The gunfighter design distributes force better as not to deform or bend the CH. Gunfighter latch size is personal preference. The Raptor and BCM ambi CH's distribute force from either side. All that to say IMO they are worth the extra bucks. GB doesn't need to be adjustable, unless you're planning on really fine tuning your ARs performance.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never used anything but the regular forged mil spec charging handles. They have always worked fine, so I've never seen the need. For the extended ones, I worry about it digging into me while I'm running with the rifle slung, or pulling the rifle out of battery while going through brush or something. When it comes to scopes, it's never an issue because I always shoot nose-to-charging-handle, so my scopes are always mounted with the ocular lens well forward of the charging handle.

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plenty of them at the range or events around the state most likely, so try before buying to get your answer.

Most likely, you'll end up with a Mod4 or A44ambi or the Raptor and will wonder why you thought about keeping or even buying a Mil Spec CH. THe Mod 4 is a good size while not being overly obnoxious to hook on things. Again, trying or seeing will answer your questions.

i think you have ur answers - no to adj. gas block unless you want to be a tuner, and yes to the CH Mods

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I currently just have a larger latch installed on mine. Works good but when I do single handed charging with my left hand it causes the stock handle to slightly bend. In the long run I could see it doing damage. I have thought about getting a bcm or maybe a raptor. I don't know. Are the actual handles that much stronger on the bcm's and raptors? I am having a hard time paying that much. But as far as the latch digging into my body, it does. That is the only complaint about it. Sometimes it gets to the point where I have to unsling the rifle because it hurts. I really like the looks of the raptor though. It looks as if it wouldn't dig in at all but would give you a good pull from either side.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom