High end AR’s, diminishing returns, and reliability.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven’t seen much in terms of high end AR talk on here, which is a shame, as there’s a ton of knowledge being stored in people’s heads around here. Ever since getting out of the military I have not been very interested in the AR platform. It’s kinda boring. But I’ve been coming back around a bit, the AK platform has lost a lot of its luster as the ammo prices have skyrocketed and the import restrictions just keep getting worse.

So I would like to school myself up a bit on higher quality AR options, and considerations with all that stuff. Mostly looking at stuff that the AR was originally made for: a solid fighting carbine.

I have a few questions to start things off, but I would be stoked for any other questions being added or any unsolicited advice about the subject.

I am curious about brands. I understand that a lot is qc and engineering that you’re paying for. An Anderson or bushmaster rifle isn’t going to ever come close to a Knights Armament, but what about a BCM vs a KAC? Is SOLGW any good?

Mixing parts: can I expect good results if I say, put a SOLGW or BCM upper on a lower I have laying around, assuming I adjust the buffer weight as needed? Why or why not?

How good is “good enough” for you? Where do you draw the line?

If you had a $1500-1800 budget for a bare rifle, what would you do? Build or buy? What?

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Putting on my flame suit on but if you've got that much money don't build a mutt with no resale . Get a decent factory built gun UNLESS you never plan on selling it to finance a new toy. Much like other guns no one cares about your gucci parts you selected by hand to suit your needs or tastes. Get a Colt they hold they value and appreciate or get a LaRue or whatever tickles your fancy .

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For me. I would build. Factory options are good, but that's just it factory AR's everyone has. I had built every AR I currently own and sold all my factory bought firearms. they are vary nice looking and shooting rifles. I have got over 3k in my last build and it doesn't even have a optic yet.

Last edited:

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I haven’t seen much in terms of high end AR talk on here, which is a shame, as there’s a ton of knowledge being stored in people’s heads around here. Ever since getting out of the military I have not been very interested in the AR platform. It’s kinda boring. But I’ve been coming back around a bit, the AK platform has lost a lot of its luster as the ammo prices have skyrocketed and the import restrictions just keep getting worse.

So I would like to school myself up a bit on higher quality AR options, and considerations with all that stuff. Mostly looking at stuff that the AR was originally made for: a solid fighting carbine.

I have a few questions to start things off, but I would be stoked for any other questions being added or any unsolicited advice about the subject.

I am curious about brands. I understand that a lot is qc and engineering that you’re paying for. An Anderson or bushmaster rifle isn’t going to ever come close to a Knights Armament, but what about a BCM vs a KAC? Is SOLGW any good?

Mixing parts: can I expect good results if I say, put a SOLGW or BCM upper on a lower I have laying around, assuming I adjust the buffer weight as needed? Why or why not?

If you had a $1500-1800 budget for a bare rifle, what would you do? Build or buy? What?
Are you sure you want to open this can of worms? Lol

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sniper-Country-AR-15-Tiers-Gen-1-1-1024x614.png

or

where-does-this-tier-list-come-from-v0-20pgg87sdev81.jpg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve been buying, selling, and trading in AR’s since about 1998 and have owned well over a hundred rifles, and I’ve never had a single gun that wouldn’t run reliably. I currently have Rock Rivers, Bushmasters, and a few Frankenguns, and I would trust the lives of my family with any of them.
In my opinion, you don’t have to spend a fortune to get a reliable AR.

I’m not much of a name dropper, but one of my Bushmasters was previously owned and used by Paul Howe in his training classes. He’s a very interesting guy to visit with.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Putting on my flame suit on but if you've got that much money don't build a mutt with no resale . Get a decent factory built gun UNLESS you never plan on selling it to finance a new toy. Much like other guns no one cares about your gucci parts you selected by hand to suit your needs or tastes. Get a Colt they hold they value and appreciate or get a LaRue or whatever tickles your fancy .
I agree with the thought of the factory vs home built. Higher quality factory built stuff is made to work together too, rather than putting together compatible parts into a system with wildly varied quality standards and specs.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Start watching School of the American Rifle Channel....

https://www.youtube.com/@InstructorChad

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with the thought of the factory vs home built. Higher quality factory built stuff is made to work together too, rather than putting together compatible parts into a system with wildly varied quality standards and specs.
With that being said, I won’t hesitate to buy a used AR, but if the word “custom” is anywhere in the ad, I don’t bother reading any further.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me. I would build. Factory options are good, but that's just it factory AR's everyone has. I had built every AR I currently own and sold all my factory bought firearms. they are vary nice looking and shooting rifles. I have got over 3k in my last build and it doesn't even have a optic yet.
I don’t care about having something unique or nice looking though. I simply want a nice shooting, smooth rifle that if required, I could trust with my life without any question or concern, regardless of climate, circumstance, or length of time between major maintenance.
Are you sure you want to open this can of worms? Lol
Oh yeah. I wanna see opinions. I wanna see experience. I wanna see caps lock stuck on, and I wanna see lots of poo and thinly veiled expletives thrown around.

Latest posts

Top Bottom