High end AR’s, diminishing returns, and reliability.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really no proof those pictures weren't staged as long as it took to come up with them. also who is to say someone didnt take it apart before You? Dead Horse Now buy what you like i will too.
Really no proof those pictures weren't staged as long as it took to come up with them. also who is to say someone didnt take it apart before You? Dead Horse Now buy what you like i will too.
You don’t even believe the crap your spouting now. If you want I’ll look for the original post and see if it’s dated to prove you wrong….. AGAIN…

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing proved nothing said about dates. get over your self.. your buddy probably put it together wrong then brought it to you.. maybe why Bear Creek supposedly ignored you. Huh. this might go a record for pages though! 😃 👍

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since this PSA model was mentioned by the OP

Screenshot_20230717-131337_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

CrappieSlayer44

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I haven’t seen much in terms of high end AR talk on here, which is a shame, as there’s a ton of knowledge being stored in people’s heads around here. Ever since getting out of the military I have not been very interested in the AR platform. It’s kinda boring. But I’ve been coming back around a bit, the AK platform has lost a lot of its luster as the ammo prices have skyrocketed and the import restrictions just keep getting worse.

So I would like to school myself up a bit on higher quality AR options, and considerations with all that stuff. Mostly looking at stuff that the AR was originally made for: a solid fighting carbine.

I have a few questions to start things off, but I would be stoked for any other questions being added or any unsolicited advice about the subject.

I am curious about brands. I understand that a lot is qc and engineering that you’re paying for. An Anderson or bushmaster rifle isn’t going to ever come close to a Knights Armament, but what about a BCM vs a KAC? Is SOLGW any good?

Mixing parts: can I expect good results if I say, put a SOLGW or BCM upper on a lower I have laying around, assuming I adjust the buffer weight as needed? Why or why not?

How good is “good enough” for you? Where do you draw the line?

If you had a $1500-1800 budget for a bare rifle, what would you do? Build or buy? What?
Oh dude.... you poor lad..... you can build yourself one heck of a rifle for 1k or less if you shop around and look for parts...... and yes you can mix and match parts..... don't let anyone tell you that you need all this or all that from one particular manufacturer. I built a custom coyote rifle with a DPMS yes.... yes I said DPMS barrel in it..... the thing will print 3 shot groups under 1/2 MOA........@ 100 yards. The heart of an AR is the barrel... the BCG.... and the trigger..... just about everything else can be middle of the road...... there is ZERO need to spend 2500 bucks on an AR.... it's like buying a brand new shiny 2011 just to impress your friends at the range...... now if that's your bag.... then rock it out. But to build a good AR that will last you years... shoot great and be reliable..... yeah man... can be done for way under your budget.

CrappieSlayer44

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
With that being said, I won’t hesitate to buy a used AR, but if the word “custom” is anywhere in the ad, I don’t bother reading any further.
If it's custom built for a specific purpose... then it's a custom built rifle...... I have an AR that is chambered in 6.8 spc that I built just for deer and hogs..... and I have a rifle that I built just for predator hunting.... both of which are custom guns...... lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom