AR Punisher Lower Complete

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhicks1011918

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi guys so I have been learning how to build ARs recently, but I am still a relative newbie. My latest lower is a Punisher themed lower and I am looking at starting to build the upper. My question is what is the shortest length barrel that I can do with a rifle build in the state of Oklahoma legally. I have heard 14.5 and I have heard 16". Which one is true? I am also looking for punisher AR parts so if anyone knows of good Punisher AR15 parts please let me know. They will need to match my lower. I have included pictures. Thank you guys for your help.

IMG_0112.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0109.JPG
    IMG_0109.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0111.JPG
    IMG_0111.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0110.JPG
    IMG_0110.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 132

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The shortest rifle barrel allowed by federal law is 16" this is measured by closing the bolt and dropping a rod down the barrel minus any removable muzzle device.
Also you can use basically any length barrel as long as you pin and weld a flash hider,muzzle brake, dummy suppressor or something on the end to achieve
the 16" minimum.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Correct, typically, a 14.5" with a 1.5" pinned and welded muzzle brake would be legal. A 16" is legal with or without the brake or flash hider, which is why those don't have to be pinned and welded. An 11" barrel with a 5" pinned and welded muzzle device would also be legal. Anything shorter than 16" in permanent length, if it has a buttstock, must be registered under the NFA as an SBR.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
you could just use a sig or shockwave pistol brace with any length barrel you want. If you do use the brace you have to be careful about the total length being 26 inches or more if you put a vertical front grip on it, from what I understand.

MasterMacBayter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So to side on the legal side of things to keep any harassment away id stay with 16" personally, unless you want to get the tax stamp. That way there is no argument. The sig brace and shockwave seem like a loophole and also another bad idea. I personally think the nfa is a joke but jailtime on the other hand is not.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like every one said 16" unless you want to go the sbr or pistol route. Personally I wouldn't do a pistol with a stabilizer as it's essentially a grey area and you are not really supposed to shoulder it (atf is going back and forth on this it appears), I have a pistol but am waiting in a stamp and I really dislike shooting it in it's configuration.

As for your punisher theme the only thing I think of doing is getting a spikes punisher dust cover.

dhicks1011918

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you for the clarification everyone! I think I will keep this as a rifle build. To understand correctly are there any significant advantages to using an 18 or 20 inch barrel? I plan on shooting mainly 55gr and 62gr 5.56 and.223. Is it best to stick with a 1/7 twist for this application or would it be beneficial to explore the 1/8 and 1/9 twist barrels? Thanks for everyone's advise.

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
Like every one said 16" unless you want to go the sbr or pistol route. Personally I wouldn't do a pistol with a stabilizer as it's essentially a grey area and you are not really supposed to shoulder it (atf is going back and forth on this it appears), I have a pistol but am waiting in a stamp and I really dislike shooting it in it's configuration.

As for your punisher theme the only thing I think of doing is getting a spikes punisher dust cover.
So to side on the legal side of things to keep any harassment away id stay with 16" personally, unless you want to get the tax stamp. That way there is no argument. The sig brace and shockwave seem like a loophole and also another bad idea. I personally think the nfa is a joke but jailtime on the other hand is not.
Why would it be a loophole or a gray area? The ATF has already made a policy approving the brace systems. Just don't actually rest it on your shoulder.

Last edited:

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you for the clarification everyone! I think I will keep this as a rifle build. To understand correctly are there any significant advantages to using an 18 or 20 inch barrel? I plan on shooting mainly 55gr and 62gr 5.56 and.223. Is it best to stick with a 1/7 twist for this application or would it be beneficial to explore the 1/8 and 1/9 twist barrels? Thanks for everyone's advise.
I am far from an expert, feel free to correct me if I am wrong. A 16"-20" is going to give you about 160fps more velocity. If you are going to hunt with it, I would go with a 16"-18" 1/7 twist to stabilize a heaver bullet. If most of your shooting is going to be at the range and you are buying your rounds at Walmart(55gr), I would go with a 1-9 twist because it is cheaper to shoot. I reload for 5.56 and I can reload 55gr bullets cheaper.
I would not get a factory AR, I would piece one together with a good trigger, match barrel, full auto bolt, and a tight fitting quality stock.
A trip to some place like FATBOY Tactical in Bixby would be your best bet.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can't go back to pistol on that lower now, anyways. If it has EVER had a buttstock attached, I believe it cannot be converted back to a pistol. You'd have to SBR it. If you buy a stripped lower and put a pistol buffer on it, it's cool - but once you put a buttstock on it that serialized particular lower is never allowed to go back to pistol again without being a registered NFA item - that was my understanding anyways.

Latest posts

Top Bottom