AR Punisher Lower Complete

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can't go back to pistol on that lower now, anyways. If it has EVER had a buttstock attached, I believe it cannot be converted back to a pistol. You'd have to SBR it. If you buy a stripped lower and put a pistol buffer on it, it's cool - but once you put a buttstock on it that serialized particular lower is never allowed to go back to pistol again without being a registered NFA item - that was my understanding anyways.

So basically you're saying once you go black rifle you can't go back?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kee-rekt.

Of course, does the ATF KNOW you've put a rifle buffer on it? No... except if you post a picture on the internet that will forever be cached somewhere and show your serial # with a rifle buffer on it. lol

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A 1/8 twist barrel will stabilize a wider range of bullet weights.
If going 16" barrel get a mid length gas, if going 18" go with rifle length gas.
Either way you choose, stay away from carbine length gas systems, they suck more than interns at the Clinton administration.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think nearly all of mine are 16" with rifle carbine gas and they don't give me any trouble, for the most part. My 24" has had some light strikes from the JP light springs, is all. My .300 is a pistol length gas with a 7.5" barrel.

Last edited:

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I think nearly all of mine are 16" with rifle gas and they don't give me any trouble, for the most part. My 24" has had some light strikes from the JP light springs, is all. My .300 is a pistol length gas with a 7.5" barrel.
That's interesting. I've never had a 16" with the rifle gas system but most I've read about them is they have trouble operating correctly due to the short distance between the gas port and the end of the barrel.

I've always been intrigued by the "dissipator" builds but have stayed away from them because of the gas issues they reportedly have.

I have decided my next upper will be a 18" or 20" with the rifle length gas system, but I would be very interested in a 16" rifle length that functions properly.

Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's interesting. I've never had a 16" with the rifle gas system but most I've read about them is they have trouble operating correctly due to the short distance between the gas port and the end of the barrel.

I've always been intrigued by the "dissipator" builds but have stayed away from them because of the gas issues they reportedly have.

I have decided my next upper will be a 18" or 20" with the rifle length gas system, but I would be very interested in a 16" rifle length that functions properly.

Oops... I'm going to edit that to correct it. I meant 16" with carbine gas. I was commenting that I don't find anything wrong with carbine gas systems, but then, that is by far the majority of my experience. My 24" heavy bull barrel with the 15" heavy handguard and rifle gas does shoot much nicer. I never attributed it much to the rifle gas system so much as to the increased weight of the gun, but that may be part of it. I just never found the carbine gas systems to be unpleasant.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I see. My first AR was a carbine and I liked it just fine but my second one I got from a member here happened to be a midlength. I liked it better because it was a little smoother shooting, not so much a recoil issue but that it doesn't slam the BCG and buffer as much.

I want a longer barrel and rifle gas on my next upper because I like the retro style of the A2 type upper but without the carry handle.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think nearly all of mine are 16" with rifle carbine gas and they don't give me any trouble, for the most part. My 24" has had some light strikes from the JP light springs, is all. My .300 is a pistol length gas with a 7.5" barrel.

Carbine gas will run, yes, but it's also much harsher in its operation. I'm not a fan of doing 5.56 in an SBR configuration for the same reason.
The light strikes from using JP light springs (yellow springs I assume) can be fixed by chopping the hook off of the back of the hammer.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
The light strikes from using JP light springs (yellow springs I assume) can be fixed by chopping the hook off of the back of the hammer.

Yeah, I know, I've just never gotten around to doing it. I'm pretty lazy, I'll probably just buy a flat hammer by itself someday and drop it in. lol Or buy an actual nice trigger to drop in.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would it be a loophole or a gray area? The ATF has already made a policy approving the brace systems. Just don't actually rest it on your shoulder.

Well they have said you can shoulder it and then also said you cannot. The real grey area is when you look into some of the things like the shockwave "stabilizer", how is that not considered a stock.

Latest posts

Top Bottom