ar15 assembly issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hey all!

Wife finally gave me the nod to finish off buying the parts for my first ar15.

Got them all here except for the BCG and thought I'd start to assemble.

I have the lower completed and I've got the dust cover and charging handle in the upper receiver, but I ran into some issues after that.

* I busted the roll pin for the forward assist. A big chunk came out of it and I'm afraid it's integrity is compromised. Anywhere local carry these or should I just order another one from somewhere? Any issues test firing the weapon with no forward assist if I finish the rest before a replacement pin gets here?

* I'm having a hard time getting the barrel nut torqued past 30lbs/ft, to get the gas tube/barrel lined up right, without it being in a receiver on a vice. Any recommendations for ways I can do this more effectively? I don't have a viceblock/workbench.

* Best way to get the roll pin started in a low profile gas block? I'm struggling here too and most of the videos/guides I've read correspond to the upper being in a vice again...

Am I SOL? Should I just take it up to a shop and pay them to assemble it? I'd hate to do that since I feel like I've got it almost all done, just a few last parts are being a pain.

Thanks!

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hey all!

Wife finally gave me the nod to finish off buying the parts for my first ar15.

Got them all here except for the BCG and thought I'd start to assemble.

I have the lower completed and I've got the dust cover and charging handle in the upper receiver, but I ran into some issues after that.

* I busted the roll pin for the forward assist. A big chunk came out of it and I'm afraid it's integrity is compromised. Anywhere local carry these or should I just order another one from somewhere? Any issues test firing the weapon with no forward assist if I finish the rest before a replacement pin gets here?

This is one part that we've never thought of carrying.

* I'm having a hard time getting the barrel nut torqued past 30lbs/ft, to get the gas tube/barrel lined up right, without it being in a receiver on a vice. Any recommendations for ways I can do this more effectively? I don't have a viceblock/workbench.

Good luck without the vise and block, bring it over to FBT one evening next week and we'll hook you up.

* Best way to get the roll pin started in a low profile gas block? I'm struggling here too and most of the videos/guides I've read correspond to the upper being in a vice again...

a roll pin starter punch and a block helps, bring it with you.

Am I SOL? Should I just take it up to a shop and pay them to assemble it? I'd hate to do that since I feel like I've got it almost all done, just a few last parts are being a pain.

Thanks!

Responses in red

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the 'easiest' ways to start a LP GB roll pin is to lay it flat and find a piece of wood or anything solid that can be placed under the gas tube port. So it is laying flat but supported, I've used anything from channel lock handles to wood to.......etc.

Use a punch to pass thru the the GB and tube port to get proper alignment/depth........use a marker and mark the tube and gb for REF.....

Then get the RP started, re-insert the gas tube to the marks and drive her home.

This of course is with a punch at least......a tack hammer or small BP hammer work best too. other than that nothing special for tools.

Patience is required naturally.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
If you haven't already, take Jeff, Shootin 4 fun, up on his offer. They let me loose in the tool room today installing the handguard I picked from them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom