AR15 build questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glockman24

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK im trying to build me an inexpensive rifle

My project will include a JSE surplus 16" A3 upper 1:9 twist the one thats for sale on main screen ...

ok im debating on upg some parts on it wondering if it will be worth it?

Handguard: ok not sure but think YHM carbine free float or dpms or maybe UTG 4 rail free float? any thoughts on anyone of these or recommendations?
IS free float worth it to improve anything like accuracy?

Charging handles/latches? is this worth the 20 bucks for black rain?

Bolt carrier? should i pay extra for the RRA or DPMS chrome one? any reviews or thoughts on either? says it already comes with a mil spec assembly

this will all be on a PC lower and ill be getting a couple of pmags and a ergo hand grip and some type of optics under 100 bucks with mount...
Am i missing anything?
Any recommendations on optics under 100 bucks?

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the handguard, I'd say free float is the only way to go. Charging handles? Well, I have standard and BCM gunfighter and I don't really see much difference in their actual use. For bolt carriers, I don't get too excited. Keep it lubed and the mil spec should last forever.

cearven1987

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it just dont touch your barrel anywhere it floats around it when you put it on it gets rid of the delta ring and is suppose to help accuracy either way i like the feel of the free float tubes. as for the bcg id keep the one that comes with it and use that money for optics

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The free float rail keeps you from putting pressure on your barrel when you are holding it, have it on a bipod, are using a sling for stabilization or basically anyway you are going to support/control the forearm of the rifle. The pressure will slightly bend the barrel and also effect the harmonics. These will shift your point of impact from your point of aim. Often it is not a big effect, but it will be there. For some rifle/load combos it can be huge. To get the maximum accuracy from your rifle, you'll want the FF rail.

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
YHM free float for about $100 unless you can find a used one for less. Don't forget to figure in the proper tooling for the job if you don't already have it.

Forget replacing the bcg and use the milspec.

Charging handle, well I'd go for a tac latch if your gonna put optics on. It will work without, but to me It's worth the extra money to not have to reach under your scope to charge the gun.

Optics for under $100 well that depends on what exactly you want for an optic, but I'd start at primary arms. I'd also recommend them for the free float rail. As stated above I think you can get the YHM lightweight ff rail for a bill or so delivered.
Goodluck with it.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nighthawk has a shop in Moore that carried most of what you're looking for when I was last there. Might check it out. Otherwise I'd go to Cold Hand Arms on the north side of OKC. He stocks a lot of YHM and MagPul parts.

glockman24

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ok well its a 35 dollar upgrade from regular so it will be installed already and its non vented so is that worth it? and being a flatop what kind of bus do i need to mount to top of receiver and gas block

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your goal is 'inexpensive' and you'll only be plinking...skip the free float altogether. It's doubtful you would be able to detect any relevant difference in accuracy during casual use. Same for all other add-ons like aftermarket charging handles and upgraded BCGs.

Save your money for ammo and have fun shooting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom