Are you a hypocrite?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Always remember that just because some pinhead at corporate headquarters in wherever supports anti gun policies doesn't mean that the people in OK that work for them are anti gun.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Always remember that just because some pinhead at corporate headquarters in wherever supports anti gun policies doesn't mean that the people in OK that work for them are anti gun.

This is very important to remember. Businesses are made up of a lot of folks, some good some bad. Just because a lawyer says something is to be, doesn't mean we should boycott a company. That affects more people that just anti-2A folks.

Either way, we also have to remember that property rights are affected by the parking lot bill as well.

I think rather than a legal issue, parking lot prohibitions are more stupid than unconstitutional. However, I also believe that companies who wish to deny patrons and employees the right to be armed also should bear ALL (not some but ALL) responsibility to keep them safe, which they will not do.

I think a bill shifting civil liability to companies that choose to deny employees their right to be safe would do more for our cause although I'm sure there's a counter to that as well.

Michael Brown

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think rather than a legal issue, parking lot prohibitions are more stupid than unconstitutional. However, I also believe that companies who wish to deny patrons and employees the right to be armed also should bear ALL (not some but ALL) responsibility to keep them safe, which they will not do.

I think a bill shifting civil liability to companies that choose to deny employees their right to be safe would do more for our cause although I'm sure there's a counter to that as well.

Michael Brown

Now THAT is a good idea.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please explain.

Ponca City Refinery

Conocophillips is in Ponca City. When you buy gas in Tulsa, I believe (read I really don't know for sure) that it is refined here in Tulsa, so no matter where you purchase your gas, it is from the Tulsa refinery and not the one in Ponca, therefore, the only people that you are hurting is the local (if it is not corporate) filling station and/or the home office of Conocophillips which is in Houston now.

And while I agree that the corps do bear a burden for the safety of their employees, I think it is up to an individual to give up their rights. If I work at a place that will not allow me to keep my weapon in my vehicle on their lot, either don't park on their lot or don't work there. 2 cents (Someone took the cents sign off my keyboard)

victor152

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
ConocoPhillips does not have a refinery in Tulsa. Also, ConocoPhillips no longer has any company owned gas stations. They probably do have a distribution terminal in Tulsa to service the privately owned (branded) gas stations there.

This being a right to work state, I wouldn't want to try to take on any large company in a court battle.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I make my business decisions first and foremost on who can provide me with the greatest benefit for the lowest cost. Now if there is a good pro-liberty seller that can provide me approximately the same benefit for the same price as an anti-liberty one, I will consider him as an alternative... but I won't go out of my way, and I won't pay extra just for that. I don't believe that to by hypocrisy... I realize that I have some very strong beliefs that run counter to those of the vast majority of my fellow man. If I were to only do business with those who believe like I do, I would be putting a major penalty on myself, which would cause more harm than good to my values in the long run. I think I can do more good supporting my ideas of liberty in ways other than boycotting anti-liberty companies.

That said, I do not consider the parking lot bill to be supportive of gun rights... I consider it to be violative of property rights and the right to free association, and I strongly support anyone who attempted to get that bill killed. I do consider it a stupid policy to prohibit employees from having guns on your premises, but I recognize that people have a right to make whatever rules they wish for their own property, stupid or not. I also recognize that people have an absolute right to free association, and can form voluntary relationships (such as employment relationships) with others based on whatever terms are mutually agreeable between the parties. Forcing a man into a relationship with another person under terms that he does not consent to constitutes slavery. I do not believe that property owners bear any sort of obligation to keep their customers safe on their property, either -- they merely have an obligation not to initiate a violation of their customer's rights to life, liberty, or property. If a third party comes onto the premises and violates a customer's rights, it is not the fault of the premises owner. If a person believes a premises is unsafe to enter, his remedy is simply to not enter it.

Likewise, if you don't like a store owner's policy, the proper remedy is to boycott him; not to try to get the government to initiate force against him... that is, if you believe in acting like a civilized man and respecting the rights of others, even when they do things with them that you personally disagree with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom