Are you afraid of the Media?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be aware that the media is only looking for soundbites - short, powerful statements. Avoid rants and strive to be reasonable and likeable. People make up their minds on the basis of emotions.

Interesting that a German crew did not go to Switzerland to film gun owners and instead chose the American mid-west. I predict that the film will not be a pro-gun epiphany but will instead pander to European prejudice against American gunowners.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it should have been the customers decision if they wanted to be filmed... not to have the decision made for them. The film crew was panning the crowd... filming just about everyone when I was there.

Afraid of the media, No, I just don't trust them. Just look how the media is spinning the presidential election here in the United States in favor of Obama. The media in Europe is even worse. If I had I known they were filming before hand, I wouldn't have paid to go in. I probably won't go to any more shows if photos & video is allowed. I don't want my photo or a video of me carrying a firearm ending up on the Internet. Heaven forbid I ever have to use my weapon in self defense, I sure don't want to chance the bad guy's attorney getting a hold of a photo or video of me at a gun show carrying a gun and trying to paint me as a gun zealot.

People will lie or misrepresent themselves to take advantage of a situation. I remember the videos where the guy & gal misrepresented themselves as a Pimp and Prostitute... in order to get people at Planned Parenthood on tape all friendly and talking about abortion. There were some people caught on tape in the background that had nothing to do with the comments, and they got smeared any way... guilt by association. You never know if these people are just feeding you a line of BS to get their video and then will do a hatchet job showing close-ups of customers.. adding berating comments in production.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Be aware that the media is only looking for soundbites - short, powerful statements. Avoid rants and strive to be reasonable and likeable. People make up their minds on the basis of emotions.

Interesting that a German crew did not go to Switzerland to film gun owners and instead chose the American mid-west. I predict that the film will not be a pro-gun epiphany but will instead pander to European prejudice against American gunowners.
They were freelancers for msnbc

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After reading this thread, I'm getting the distinct impression OSA'ers don't trust the media, period. Are there ANY media channels that would present the facts in a neutral and unbiased manner, in the opinion of OSA members?

To the OP: I'm not afraid of the media, and would talk to them. I would, however, be careful how I presented myself - having been interviewed on a couple occasions, it's surprisingly easy to say or do the wrong thing entirely by accident and have it recorded for posterity.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
After reading this thread, I'm getting the distinct impression OSA'ers don't trust the media, period. Are there ANY media channels that would present the facts in a neutral and unbiased manner, in the opinion of OSA members?

To the OP: I'm not afraid of the media, and would talk to them. I would, however, be careful how I presented myself - having been interviewed on a couple occasions, it's surprisingly easy to say or do the wrong thing entirely by accident and have it recorded for posterity.
Not really in my opinion. At least, I haven't been convinced of that ever. Once in a while there is a fairly unbiased piece shown on one or other of the networks, but it hasn't ever been a governing policy, that I could see, sadly.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

imo, local news channels are the best option, followed by national news networks. CNN, MSNBC and FOX are news commentary/entertainment networks. They only offer opinions, bias' and propaganda.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it should have been the customers decision if they wanted to be filmed... not to have the decision made for them. The film crew was panning the crowd... filming just about everyone when I was there.

Afraid of the media, No, I just don't trust them. Just look how the media is spinning the presidential election here in the United States in favor of Obama. The media in Europe is even worse. If I had I known they were filming before hand, I wouldn't have paid to go in. I probably won't go to any more shows if photos & video is allowed. I don't want my photo or a video of me carrying a firearm ending up on the Internet. Heaven forbid I ever have to use my weapon in self defense, I sure don't want to chance the bad guy's attorney getting a hold of a photo or video of me at a gun show carrying a gun and trying to paint me as a gun zealot.

People will lie or misrepresent themselves to take advantage of a situation. I remember the videos where the guy & gal misrepresented themselves as a Pimp and Prostitute... in order to get people at Planned Parenthood on tape all friendly and talking about abortion. There were some people caught on tape in the background that had nothing to do with the comments, and they got smeared any way... guilt by association. You never know if these people are just feeding you a line of BS to get their video and then will do a hatchet job showing close-ups of customers.. adding berating comments in production.

Well Mr. David2012...such fear means you ought not be on OSA, have an account on gunbroker, armslist, or any firearm site that can be linked to you directly via email or actual name. I am sure with digging I could come up with your info or pic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom