Are you afraid of the Media?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superdave65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago a production company for a German television show called "Gallileo" asked if they could film at my gun show this past weekend in Altus. I granted them permission. They are doing a show on guns in America, and wanted to explore all sides of the issue. They were very respectful at the show and interviewed many gun owners and vendors about why they own and carry firearms. A few folks didn't want to be on camera, I respect that. Most folks were willing and gave thoughtful intelligent answers to the questions given. At one point the producer stated that "cheap" handguns should be illegal since they were readily available to gang members. When I explained that if they did make low priced guns illegal, gang members would not obey the law and they would remove the only way for lower income people to defend themselves from the bad guys. You could almost see an actual light bulb come on over his head when it was explained that way.

At another point he explained that some countries removed nearly all firearms from private citizens and that gun crime was very low. I used this analogy with him. "A lion in a cage at a zoo was very safe, but had absolutely no freedom". Most Americans place a very high price on their freedoms and would not trade Liberty for alleged safety.

One old timer gave me a hard time for having a film crew at a gun show. He said that the media will always spin the truth to make gun owners look bad.
I told him two things. First, that it was my show and my decision on who I let in. Second that the anti-gun crowd will seek out any media outlet that they can find to spew their anti-gun rhetoric. Gun owners should be just as willing to talk to the press and give a positive side to the gun control argument.

I'm sure that they will talk to crime victims, and anti-gun groups to get their side of the issue. That is what they should do to give well rounded story.

The film crew spent the whole day Saturday at my show and with me and Sunday at H&H gun range in OKC. I hope that we represented the firearms community well.

But back to the original question. Should gun owners be afraid of the media, or should we face them straight on and put out our story the way we see it?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Afraid? No... but I do not trust them in any meaningful way to report a story without bias, nor to not twist my words or message to fit their bias. So I would not likely have let them in... not fear, in my opinion, but just caution. Once they get that video footage, they can show it, edit it and portray it any which way they choose. I personally will not allow my image and words to be twisted in such a way without my approval.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whatever footage they obtain, they will use how they see fit, on their terms and without regard to anything someone told them. I'm not scared of the truth, but it's unlikely that such a group will ever present it.

If it were me, I'd have reminded them that the whole gun control thing didn't work out so well for them in Germany during the first half of the 20th century. Not exactly a "low crime" environment.

:coffee2:

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Afraid? No... but I do not trust them in any meaningful way to report a story without bias, nor to not twist my words or message to fit their bias. So I would not likely have let them in... not fear, in my opinion, but just caution. Once they get that video footage, they can show it, edit it and portray it any which way they choose. I personally will not allow my image and words to be twisted in such a way without my approval.

I agree!

Also, I believe that there should be notice given ahead of time, that a film crew will be attending the gun show, as a courtesy to guests and vendors.

Bigjoe.45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Scared no....trust HECK NO! They kill me with the "Gun related crime is low" statistic. A few years ago here in the gool ol' US of A more violent crimes were commited with knives than any other weapon but nobody want to cut steak with a fork so here we sit. Locks keep honest people honest and if someone is hellbent on trying to commit a crime, they will no matter what they have access to.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some media will simply never be trustworthy. Would you have let CBS news film at your show? If it were my show and someone like that asked I'd allow it, provided they sign a contract granting me authority to exercise editorial control over the final product. They would of course decline, but then couldn't use the always suspicious "XYZ declined to appear or comment on this story".

My point is, the media assumes a mantle of trust and respect they haven't earned and don't deserve. If you don't trust me to exercise control over my portion of your story, why the hell would you expect me to trust you to accurately report it?

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SuperDave65,

Having seen something like this (and been involved with it) on the military side, all I can add is that if possible try to get a little editorial control, or input, if possible as a condition for filming. A European based film crew will almost certainly portray the gun trade as dangerous and something to be banned/controlled - even if they don't mock the individuals themselves. It is simply a part of their accepted culture in Western Europe and rare is the person who questions that way of thinking. If they will let you have editiorial input over the gun show interviews/film that might at least allow you to prevent gross distortions.

I hope you are correct about the "light bulb" but my experience tells me not to be too hopeful.

Keep us posted on how this develops.

Last edited:

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Im only afraid they will distort the truth. Theres a big difference in a news piece and propaganda.

I would like to know in advance if this happens again. Not so much for the general public but for our OSA community. I think we would represent well, but, the general public might not.

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I walked into one of your shows and saw 'media' filming I'd ask for a refund and leave. Not afraid of the media but I don't trust the media. Anyway, what I do is my own business and I expect that you, by default, respect my privacy as well. If that's not the case I'm glad to know it before I waste the trip.

Latest posts

Top Bottom