Are you afraid of the Media?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure fear is the operative word for me; I actually don't fear the media. I do fear what the media can create though; as others here have mentioned. The message put forth by various media types is believed by too many folks as being the truth. The power to decieve by the media would be something I fear.

superdave65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, this was a one time event, so that is not an issue. But the stating that you don't "fear" media then follow up with I don't trust them and would not appear on camera appear to be contradictory. If all people say is "get that thing out of my face" then you look like a kook. Why not have an intelligent conversation? Of course if there is an agenda they will spin the story, but I don't believe that clamming up is always the answer

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, this was a one time event, so that is not an issue. But the stating that you don't "fear" media then follow up with I don't trust them and would not appear on camera appear to be contradictory. If all people say is "get that thing out of my face" then you look like a kook. Why not have an intelligent conversation? Of course if there is an agenda they will spin the story, but I don't believe that clamming up is always the answer

But you didn't answer my question. Were it CBS instead of a German production that we'll never see and willnot impact our rights in this country, would you say the same thing?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score

I disagree Dave. I do NOT think that fear is the proper word to describe the caution with which many of us view the media. The media's reputation has been well-earned, as has that of the .gov and politicians. I think I, too, might have been uncomfortable being on camera without knowing a whole lot more about who was doing it, what was the purpose, and who would control and air the final product. I hope you do not have cause to regret the decision to participate in their project, but Michael Moore's antics keep coming to mind, with people being clipped and edited to completely change the tone and feel of their interviews. It IS easy to do...

Yes, I believe we should have a conversation... but allowing the content of that conversation shown to be manipulated and edit to twist and distort it's entire character is dangerous. I think the media is dangerous... in many ways. But that does not equate to fear. In my mind, the conversation should be live, or mostly shown in it's entirety, with both sides there to debate their points. But what these people do with their hatchet-job editors is so far from being news or accurate that I would not participate.

Just my $0.02.

And I also don't like the idea of them filming at a gunshow... kinda like the ATF being there. A bit intimidating to some people...

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
superdave65: Do you allow cameras in your shows? The shows I have been to have no camera signs all over the place yet everyone is walking around with a cell phone taking pictures. Not sure I understand the point of the signs.

As to the OP, I would be gald to speak with them, hiding or running away would look real good on camera, may look like we had something to hide. I am legal, the show is legal, the guns are legal, but it would still look bad to folks who don't know or understand that.

luvDrecoil

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Dave I talked to them after they saw me purchase some bulk ammo. They were very pleasant and asked pretty standard questions. They did try to work some election talk in but didn't bother me any. I enjoyed your show very much!!!

okiemaggie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several years ago, Miles asked me to talk to channel 4 about handguns vs taser guns as a personal defense weapon. I was the only person on the range at the time so he didn't have much choice for a "second opinion." So I talked to the girl and shot a few rounds for the cameraman. My big soundbite was that the taser gun only had one shot, I had six (revolver with me that day.) The piece ran without bias or any twisting of my words. Be polite, speak simply, stick to what you know. If we do not stand up and represent ourselves, we will never be represented at all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom