Army's New Sig Pistols(M17, M18) Often Eject Live Rounds and Don't Work Well With FMJ Bullets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...ounds-and-dont-work-well-with-regular-bullets
Army's New Pistols Often Eject Live Rounds and Don't Work Well With Regular Bullets
A Pentagon report reveals the guns continued to suffer jams and other malfunctions after winning an already controversial competition.
BY JOSEPH TREVITHICK JANUARY 29, 2018

..."The Pentagon recently released a report that shows testing of the M17 and M18 handguns exposed a number of significant and persistent deficiencies, including firing accidentally if a shooter dropped the gun, ejecting live ammunition, and low reliability with traditional "ball" cartridges with bullets enclosed inside a full metal jacket."...

CGS1

I'm Retired, Do It Yourself.
Special Hen
Reaction score
Give the military a 1911 and be done with it.
1ac1cce99c22aa397f1cca0f20f5fbbe_kindlephoto-40930155.jpg

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny, but since MARSOC went with the Glock 19, there haven’t been any negative reports like this...at least none I’ve seen. I’m a big fan of the 1911 as a Combat Pistol too, but it’s impracticalities for the masses today are the same as they were back in the mid-80’s when the US went with Beretta 9mm Pistols. Like them or not, the Glock 19 is a great choice as a Combat sidearm for US forces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d like to know exactly how it ejects “live” rounds. I also tend to burst blood veins in my eyes every time an article mentions the Hague Convention which we never signed. I'm glad MARSOC went with something simple and more reliable. I hope they get this squared away quickly or send that crap back to Sig.

Last edited:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny, but since MARSOC went with the Glock 19, there haven’t been any negative reports like this...at least none I’ve seen. I’m a big fan of the 1911 as a Combat Pistol too, but it’s impracticalities for the masses today are the same as they were back in the mid-80’s when the US went with Beretta 9mm Pistols. Like them or not, the Glock 19 is a great choice as a Combat sidearm for US forces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I have read Glock never submitted a pistol with a safety. I thought they did though? The RFP required it, so as much as they complained, they were never a consideration. Call me crazy but in my business you follow the RFP to the letter, but I'm not an arrogant gun manufacturer. :D Arrogant maybe.... but not a gun manufacturer. Not sure if this true though.

EDIT: I'm wrong, looked it up...... seems they just got outbid.

Last edited:

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.dote.osd.mil/pub/reports/FY2017/pdf/army/2017mhs.pdf

Not sure how many times I'm gonna have to post this. I invite people to read what actually happened. There's a LOT of user error.
Thanks, that's good info.

"Both the XM17 and XM18 pistols experienced double‑ejections where an unspent ball round was ejected along with a spent round. Due to the increased frequency of occurrence during Product Verification Test (PVT), the Army stood up a root cause analysis team to identify the cause of the double ejections in parallel with continued PVT. As of this report, this analysis is still ongoing."

That will be interesting info when it comes out. I'd imagine its something with the new heavy ammo and mag combo but who knows..

I go way out of my way to make sure my Sig P226 & P229 Mags are Mec-Gar or Sig Branded made by Mec-Gar and not the US ones that look like they've been spray painted.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The report was before the upgrades were done, all the guns the army has received have the problems corrected.

All the people who say they should have gone with Glock act like Glock hasn't had problems,but there are reasons that Oklahoma City pd and other police departments are dropping Glock. They have been experiencing problems that Glock can't seem to fix

Latest posts

Top Bottom