ATF Hunting Illegal Machine Guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
We say it's unconstitional, however since 1934 and 1986, the Supreme Court has not ruled that it is. There does not appear to be a sufficient number of voters interested in repealing either one of these laws.

Lack of action does not make it constitutional. The NFA is almost exactly the kind of thing that got a bunch of colonists to take on the biggest empire on earth 150 years earlier.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OH, I agree totally with you, but until it is ruled unconstitutional, it is the law. Supreme Court makes that determination. If we truly believe these laws to be unconstitutional, ( which most of us do ), we need to be working toward that end. However, we have had many years and have accomplished nothing toward even getting a case much beyond District Federal Courts.

We like to condemn those cities that have decided that they are above the law and have declared themselves as sanctuary cities or states. Until they get a ruling in their favor, they are acting illegally. The same is true for a great many special interest groups, and we fall into that category of citizens.

Unfortunately, what we consider an "infringement" is considered, by many voters, as a "common sense" change.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Under the NFA, parts to convert a gun into a machine gun are also machine guns themselves. So there’s no difference legally between a complete machine gun and parts to convert a gun to a machine gun. Same thing for unassembled parts that can be assembled into a machine gun.

Which begs the question, "Do all these parts have serial numbers and are they listed in a manufacturer's "A and D" book somewhere as machinegun parts?" I can't think of any way to trace them and prove they are or are intended to be machinegun parts within the scope and intent of the law. (The Second Amendment has been considered notwithstanding for the sake of discussion.) Until all the parts are assembled into a machinegun receiver - the part of the gun with the model and serial number that states it is a machinegun receiver as designated in a manufacturer's "A and D" book - all you have is parts.

Analogy: Rape is illegal. Rapists have a penis. I have a penis. The fact that I have the same type of equipment as a rapist doesn't make me a rapist. Machine guns have a trigger. My gun has a trigger. That doesn't mean my gun is a machinegun. It is what the rapist does with his penis that makes him a rapist. It's the same with a machinegun. If the trigger is not identified and adorned with a serial number and traceable specifically as a machinegun part in a manufacturer's "A and D" book, it is just a part.

Woody

Last edited:

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All good arguments, and we all agree, but the law still stands. We need one of you to get arrested, charged, and convicted, appealing to a higher court, and continuing that process until it reaches the Supremes, and then we have a chance of changing the law.

CharlieWH2O

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which begs the question, "Do all these parts have serial numbers and are they listed in a manufacturer's "A and D" book somewhere as machinegun parts?" I can't think of any way to trace them and prove they are or are intended to be machinegun parts within the scope and intent of the law. (The Second Amendment has been considered notwithstanding for the sake of discussion.) Until all the parts are assembled into a machinegun receiver - the part of the gun with the model and serial number that states it is a machinegun receiver as designated in a manufacturer's "A and D" book - all you have is parts.

Analogy: Rape is illegal. Rapists have a penis. I have a penis. The fact that I have the same type of equipment as a rapist doesn't make me a rapist. Machine guns have a trigger. My gun has a trigger. That doesn't mean my gun is a machinegun. It is what the rapist does with his penis that makes him a rapist. It's the same with a machinegun. If the trigger is not identified and adorned with a serial number and traceable specifically as a machinegun part in a manufacturer's "A and D" book, it is just a part.

Woody

A penis has other uses, machine gun parts likely do not.

Ethan N

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, these Glock conversion kits were marketed as parts to convert a Glock into a machine gun, so it would be hard to argue that they’re not designed and intended to be used to convert a weapon into a machine gun. But even if parts were marketed generically without referencing machine guns or full auto, the fact that they can be used to convert a gun into a machine gun is pretty good evidence that that’s what they were designed and intended for.

A trigger isn’t a good example. All guns have triggers. Not all guns have auto seers.

For reference, the ATF website quotes the definition of “machinegun” from the relevant law.

• Any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger
  • The frame or receiver of any such weapon
  • Any part designed and intended solely and exclusively or combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, or
  • Any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.
I’m in favor of repealing the NFA as much or more than the next guy. I’m for mail order suppressed full auto belt feds for everyone. But, unless you’re willing to test the law and lose, I think the best advice is to comply with the intent of the law, which is pretty clear here. I don’t think they’d have any trouble enforcing the law for any part that is, in reality, designed to convert a weapon to full auto.

Ethan N

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All good arguments, and we all agree, but the law still stands. We need one of you to get arrested, charged, and convicted, appealing to a higher court, and continuing that process until it reaches the Supremes, and then we have a chance of changing the law.
Already happening. See the link I posted above from GOA. Disabled veteran in Kansas convicted of possession of a suppressor. Perfect test case. The Supreme Court is expected to hear the appeal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom