ATTN all new/unaware NRA members

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I posted this in 2nd am. section, but a cross post was suggested for greater visibility because this is important.

I see a lot of people posting that they are joining the NRA to help fight the assault on our rights. While that's a great first step and is something I think all gun owners should do, you should be aware that your membership dues do not go to support political battles. Membership dues go toward education, training, range building, and things like that.

The lobbying branch of the NRA is the NRA-ILA (Institute for Legislative Action). The NRA is a non-profit organization, and as such, their money can't go to political purposes, that's why the NRA-ILA and NRA-PVF (political victory fund) are separately funded entities. If you REALLY want to make a difference in the coming legislative battles, make a donation to the NRA-ILA.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I posted this in 2nd am. section, but a cross post was suggested for greater visibility because this is important.

I see a lot of people posting that they are joining the NRA to help fight the assault on our rights. While that's a great first step and is something I think all gun owners should do, you should be aware that your membership dues do not go to support political battles. Membership dues go toward education, training, range building, and things like that.

The lobbying branch of the NRA is the NRA-ILA (Institute for Legislative Action). The NRA is a non-profit organization, and as such, their money can't go to political purposes, that's why the NRA-ILA and NRA-PVF (political victory fund) are separately funded entities. If you REALLY want to make a difference in the coming legislative battles, make a donation to the NRA-ILA.

I've seen this pop up a few times so before anyone thinks its "more important" to donate to ILA as opposed to becoming a member, here are a couple things to consider:

Yes, your money if donated to ILA goes DIRECTLY to lobbying, while your membership dues go to education and training.

However, your lobbying dollars are never guaranteed to get your moneys worth, your membership dues are guaranteed to help secure your gun rights by adding more education and training to our society.

A well healed palm greasing machine is fine but that fix is essentially temporary. Educating the populace and growing membership numbers in the long term are much better tactical advances than a quick lobbed grenade.

BTW, if ILA was more important, the NRA would not be pushing memberships so hard right now while not really saturating the market with ILA donation requests.

I'm not telling you ILA is marginal by any means, but if its that important to you, give money to both. :anyone:

P.S........

JOIN HERE AND SAVE $10

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not telling you ILA is marginal by any means, but if its that important to you, give money to both. :anyone:

That's exactly what I was advocating (" and is something I think all gun owners should do"). NRA membership is good for the long term health of our second amendment rights, but I don't want anyone to be under the impression that just because they joined, that's going to stop our rights from being legislated away in the upcoming session (which I think is a common view based on how many people I see joining in response to the proposed legislation). We're fighting against the media, the executive branch, and at least half of the legislative branch, the ILA needs all the help they can get.

Latest posts

Top Bottom