The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20170104/nra-backs-concealed-carry-reciprocity-bill-in-us-house

"On behalf of its five-million members, the National Rifle Association’s Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA) applauded the introduction of H.R. 38, The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017, authored by Congressman Richard Hudson (NC-8). This legislation would eliminate the confusing patchwork of state carry laws by allowing individuals who possess concealed carry permits from their home state or who are not prohibited from carrying concealed in their home state to exercise those rights in any other state that does not prohibit concealed carry.

“The current patchwork of state and local laws is confusing for even the most conscientious and well-informed concealed carry permit holders. This confusion often leads to law-abiding gun owners running afoul of the law when they exercise their right to self-protection while traveling or temporarily living away from home,” said Chris W. Cox, executive director of the NRA-ILA. “Congressman Hudson’s legislation provides a much needed solution to a real problem for law-abiding gun owners.”

This legislation would not override state laws governing the time, place or manner of carriage or establish national standards for concealed carry. Individual state gun laws would still be respected. If under federal law a person is prohibited from carrying a firearm, they will continue to be prohibited from doing so under this bill.

“Law-abiding citizens should be able to exercise their fundamental right to self-defense while traveling across state lines,” continued Cox. “This is an extremely important issue to our members and we thank Congressman Hudson for leading the fight to protect our rights,” concluded Cox."

Apparently this new bill has been proposed in Congress and endorsed by the NRA. With American majorities in both houses of Congress, as well as an American President, we have a good shot at getting it passed in my opinion.

I personally have mixed feelings. I believe in State's rights, but i feel a national bill banning 'assault weapons' bans and magazine restrictions would go farther, as well. Also making 'shall issue' a federal law instead of leaving it to the States. Maybe a nation wide castle doctrine/stand your ground law.

What do ya'll think?

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to see citizens in every state able to freely exercise their right to defend themselves with a firearm. But, without seeing the specifics in this bill to see how state gun laws are respected while also allowing someone from another state to be exempt from those laws, I am reluctant to support national reciprocity.

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://freebeacon.com/issues/national-reciprocity-bill-will-apply-non-resident-gun-carry-permits/

Representative Hudson has confirmed that the National Reciprocity Bill will allow residents of places that usually can't get CCW, like CA or residents of New York City, to get a non-resident CCW from another state, and their home state WILL have to recognize it.

Residents of Washington D.C. stand almost ZERO chance of getting issued a Washington D.C. CCW. They will not be able to get an Arizona CCW, or a Utah CCW, and legally carry in Washington D.C.

Latest posts

Top Bottom