ATV trails near Oklahoma City?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cscokd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've imported tracks and waypoints before. I was just wondering what you were using to capture them. I've used my iPhone 4 to create a couple tracks before...I wonder if a dedicated GPS unit would be more accurate than using a smartphone. I've got a droid phone now, but haven't tried it out yet...

I had a smartphone at the time but it didn't and still doesn't compare to an actual GPS, even my fairly old GPSMap 60. A smartphone battery won't last very long at all when the GPS is on. The bigger antenna and dedicated circuitry I think help a lot with the accuracy and response time too. Garmin has newer versions of this handheld with faster chipsets and more features, but they apparently still sell this same unit. If you are going afield and expect to need/want a GPS, then definitely take a real GPS.

Oh, and not one meant for your car dash but one actually meant go afield. All of those TomTom-like GPS's don't really work well when you want an actual top-down map view, and forget about topography. Those things are meant for the urban jungle where you need someone telling you where to turn. ;-)

Latest posts

Top Bottom