B2 Spirits Enforcing the No-Fly Zone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunrunner45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The B2's and other US aircraft go in 1st to take out their air defenses. You can't enforce the no fly zone if you don't have total control of the air space. Its kinda hard to have air superiority when your fighters are dodging SAMS.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Destroying their air defense artillery is all well and good, but this:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/03/u-s-general-we-wont-help-libyas-rebels-unless-we-do/

makes it sound as though more than just ADA is being targeted.

Because it is more than a No-Fly zone. The UN resolution called for all necessary measures to protect civilians under threat of attack. A No-Fly zone is just part of that. Hence the targeting of armor, command centers, and other non-aviation related targets.

R. Johnson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because it is more than a No-Fly zone. The UN resolution called for all necessary measures to protect civilians under threat of attack. A No-Fly zone is just part of that. Hence the targeting of armor, command centers, and other non-aviation related targets.

And this is what I was getting around to. Why not call a spade a spade? All people hear is that this is a no-fly zone now, when in reality the NFZ is only part of a larger operation. I don't get to give my opinion of our involvement in a public forum, and that's fine by me, but I am trying to figure out exactly why there is an effort to make this sound like less than what it is. Sadly I don't get to watch any TV news, I just don't have the time, so I missed any press conferences there might have been. All I've gotten to read is about this no-fly zone that has been put in place. It didn't take me long to deduce there was more going on than a NFZ, now I'm trying to deduce what our actual involvement will end up being.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And this is what I was getting around to. Why not call a spade a spade? All people hear is that this is a no-fly zone now, when in reality the NFZ is only part of a larger operation. I don't get to give my opinion of our involvement in a public forum, and that's fine by me, but I am trying to figure out exactly why there is an effort to make this sound like less than what it is. Sadly I don't get to watch any TV news, I just don't have the time, so I missed any press conferences there might have been. All I've gotten to read is about this no-fly zone that has been put in place. It didn't take me long to deduce there was more going on than a NFZ, now I'm trying to deduce what our actual involvement will end up being.

Thanks to the biased media....and the general population's desire to have things boiled down to a sound bite. No Fly Zone fits easier in the headline news cycle.

So far it looks like our precision assets were used to make the initial incapacitating strikes and the Brits and French are going to be doing most of the heavy lifting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom