Bad news from the mechanic...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerryinokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good Evening, Everyone.

Well, I'm not sure how to approach this, but I occasionally post a comment or two on here and have really enjoyed getting to read all the threads. In summary, I have a 1983 Jeep CJ-7 that is (perhaps was) a favorite toy.

Driving it two days ago I experienced a series of what can only be described as not-so-good noises emanating from the engine. I just had the Jeep in the shop for some other work, and I'm informed this evening that a rod has broken loose in the engine and the nominal fee will be a whopping $3,700 to replace the clutch and entire engine (mechanic recommended replacing the clutch since the engine would be out, but it's not mandatory).

I'm really just asking for your thoughts on this issue. I've had the Jeep for 7 years and was planning on selling it eventually, but I just put brand new tires on it, got it fixed up (previous visit to the shop for new muffler, carb work, etc).

Is there a less expensive way to go? I'm looking for any suggestions you folks might have, and they are greatly appreciated. I'm not ready to drop the $4k on it yet, so I'm just going to have it towed back to the house for now until I can figure out a good plan. If you prefer, you can PM me.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jerry

pokefun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What engine does it have? I would check the internet for a rebuilt engine and swap it myself. I have a 1977 cj5 that has been taken apart so many times it will almost do it itself now.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Less Expensive way is to go get a salvage engine and put it in. or go to your Parts store of choice and order a reman long block and transfer everything over from your old engine to the new one.

You could always sell it to me with no engine and I could kill two birds with one stone. buy another CJ and piss off the wife.

If you have any mechanic ability what so ever it is not that difficult of a job to peform. search on Craigslist for an engine hoist or ask around here to borrow one. I sold mine or I would offer it to you. Engine stand would be nice as well. torque wrench(got one you can borrow) and the internet.

Jerryinokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, Poke, that's not a bad idea if I actually had the basic knowledge to do it myself (and, truthfully, the time to learn it). It's a 286 straight 6 cylinder. The thing really has ran great up till now.

pokefun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, Poke, that's not a bad idea if I actually had the basic knowledge to do it myself (and, truthfully, the time to learn it). It's a 286 straight 6 cylinder. The thing really has ran great up till now.

I guess I have never seen a 286.

Here is a listing for a 258 long block. I have never dealt with this company, but it does give you an idea of cost. I have purchased a lot of Jeep stuff from Sooner Jeep in OKC, but I don't know if they are still in business. I bet a local salvage yard can fix you right up.

Jerryinokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, Dan, my Girlfriend thought that was funny as Hell (the part about me doing the work myself; not the part about pissing your wife off…). You see, my background is not in the mechanical arts, unfortunately. I can change the oil, filters, hoses, basically everything basic, but "changing engine" isn't in my grasp, I'm afraid.

Let me see if the posting of a pic thing works.

/Users/jmessick/Desktop/IMG_0134.JPG

pokefun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Jerry, if you can change oil, filters, belts,and hoses, you can swap an engine in a Jeep. I wouldn't try it in an Olds Aurora, but you can do it in a Jeep.

Jerryinokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I have never seen a 286.

Here is a listing for a 258 long block. I have never dealt with this company, but it does give you an idea of cost. I have purchased a lot of Jeep stuff from Sooner Jeep in OKC, but I don't know if they are still in business. I bet a local salvage yard can fix you right up.

Poke, that's great, thanks. I guess you're getting the idea about the depths of my knowledge in this area…I thought it was called a "286" (cubic inch) engine…I'm thinking that's probably not the case now. I do appreciate the information. Even at $100 per hour, I'm thinking the quote for $4,000 is a bit high.

Honestly, it's not so much about the lack of knowledge (or ability to learn it); it's the time. Assuming I had the tools to do it, with my schedule it would take FOREVER.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I had a free Saturday anything soon I'd be more than willing to help you out on a swap.

R&R an engine on a CJ is pretty stinking easy. I rebuilt my old 84 in my garage with no help. Not that I didn't want any or need any. I just wanted to learn. Learn I did.

Latest posts

Top Bottom