Bad news from the mechanic...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokefun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
$4k probably isn't too bad for a new engine and swap, but it is a bit on the high side for a rebuilt IMHO. I have swapped out the 304 in mine in less than 4 hours with a 5 year old boy asking what each part was and how it worked as we came to it.

Jerryinokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
$4k probably isn't too bad for a new engine and swap, but it is a bit on the high side for a rebuilt IMHO. I have swapped out the 304 in mine in less than 4 hours with a 5 year old boy asking what each part was and how it worked as we came to it.

So, Poke, my GF suggested you have the patience of Job (5 points for biblical reference) and you must be the type that actually enjoys hanging Christmas lights? She knows me pretty well and doesn't want to hang around me if I were to attempt the R&R.

That quote of $4k was for a new engine with a 3 yr warranty…something made by Jasper…Juniper…something like that. Maybe it wasn't such a bad quote after all.

Dan, I do appreciate the sentiments on the Saturday afternoon!

pokefun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, Poke, my GF suggested you have the patience of Job (5 points for biblical reference) and you must be the type that actually enjoys hanging Christmas lights? She knows me pretty well and doesn't want to hang around me if I were to attempt the R&R.
!

I am some what of a scrooge on the Christmas lights thing. I hate to waste money on lights and electric when there are so many guns to buy!

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a scrambler back in the day. it had a 258 inline six cyl engine. plastic valve cover that always leaks oil? funny thing is my buddies ran an ad in one of those cheap penny papers that said" Jeep scrambler for sale ,leaks water in and oil out". some fella called me on that ad and I sold it. they quit laughing.

Jerryinokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am some what of a scrooge on the Christmas lights thing. I hate to waste money on lights and electric when there are so many guns to buy!

Heard that...

Like others have said...Buy a used engine from a reputable salvage yard with a warranty.

Thanks, Gearys, that's probably the right call.

Jerryinokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do appreciate the thoughts and comments, Folks. I think the engine from the salvage is probably the way to go, and I'll find someone that can do the work.

Have a great evening!

Jerry

Jamie_s_72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well Jerry I'm afraid going to the salvage yard and pulling an engine isn't going to be your fix. I've been into Jeeps for a few years and I have been to many junk yards all over Ok and if your lucky enough to find a Jeep you can bet it will just be a shell. Jeeps in salvage yards are nonexistent. Here are a couple guys you can call that can help. I'll put them in the order I would call.
1. Bob Supplee, Wonderful guy who has a Jeep 4x4 shop. 405-799-8977
2. I-35 Sports and Imports, these guys sell Jeeps and know where to find parts. They could have an engine there in the shop. 405-799-8585
3. Jerry @ Custom Off Road. Jerry is a good guy, his place is next door to H&H
Gun Range. He might know someone who has an engine. 405-943-2673
4. 4Wheel Parts. These guys know the community but will more than likely try to sell you a new engine. Ask for Mark. 405-912-7881
One thing for sure about the Jeep community, a case of beer will get all kinds of guys over to help you rebuild it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom