Bad paint job by my local gunshop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I went in to my local gun shop and asked if they painted firearms. They said they did. He tried to get me to cerakote my AK but I didn't want to spend about $200 for it. He then told me about painting it with aluma hyde 2. He said it would be $80. I said that sounds better. I just wanted to paint my century arms centurion a flat back rather than have the parkerized finish it came with. So I dropped it off 2 days ago and around 1130 thus morning I get a call telling me it was ready. I asked if he was joking because I knew it would take longer than that. He said that he was serious so I went to get it. When he brought it out and showed it to me I was not very happy. Not only did the paint job look pretty crappy he didn't even paint the bolt carrier or my gas tube. And in several places the paint is already chipping off. I tried to take the dust cover off and I couldn't even do it. He basically had to pry it off. He said the paint causes that to happen. And where the bottom hand guard comes off and the little deal slides forward the paint is gone because he put it back on while it was still wet and the paint came off. And when I got home the paint is actually chipping off and sticking to my hands. A couple of my fingers actually have back stains from the paint. I know I should have made a big deal and had him fix it but I figured it would never be done right. I don't know what to do now. I will not go back after that stunt. I just threw $80 down the toilet. I think he painted it this morning and then called me. And the safety lever wasn't painted either. I want the rifle to look good and I also want to be able to take the dust cover off like normal. What do you guys suggest I do. I know I am an idiot for not making him fix it so don't lay on to me for it. I just want to fix it. Here are a few pictures of it. 20140424_141132.jpg 20140424_140914.jpg 20140424_141012.jpg

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dude... you coulda rattle-canned it and come out better. Why not do that?
because I'm a moron. For some reason I thought I would ruin my rifle by painting it and getting it all in the barrel and gas tube. But it couldn't have possibly turned out worse. And what makes me even madder is that the guy did this to me. What a crooked thing to do. And he was acting like it was great.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've sprayed several of my ff handguards. No problems. I dunno about around the gas tube and all that. I'm not familiar with AKs at all, so I don't know about the mechanism, etc. For my part, I'd have little to no problem rattling my entire AR.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I went in to my local gun shop and asked if they painted firearms. They said they did. He tried to get me to cerakote my AK but I didn't want to spend about $200 for it. He then told me about painting it with aluma hyde 2. He said it would be $80. I said that sounds better. I just wanted to paint my century arms centurion a flat back rather than have the parkerized finish it came with. So I dropped it off 2 days ago and around 1130 thus morning I get a call telling me it was ready. I asked if he was joking because I knew it would take longer than that. He said that he was serious so I went to get it. When he brought it out and showed it to me I was not very happy. Not only did the paint job look pretty crappy he didn't even paint the bolt carrier or my gas tube. And in several places the paint is already chipping off. I tried to take the dust cover off and I couldn't even do it. He basically had to pry it off. He said the paint causes that to happen. And where the bottom hand guard comes off and the little deal slides forward the paint is gone because he put it back on while it was still wet and the paint came off. And when I got home the paint is actually chipping off and sticking to my hands. A couple of my fingers actually have back stains from the paint. I know I should have made a big deal and had him fix it but I figured it would never be done right. I don't know what to do now. I will not go back after that stunt. I just threw $80 down the toilet. I think he painted it this morning and then called me. And the safety lever wasn't painted either. I want the rifle to look good and I also want to be able to take the dust cover off like normal. What do you guys suggest I do. I know I am an idiot for not making him fix it so don't lay on to me for it. I just want to fix it. Here are a few pictures of it. View attachment 38219 View attachment 38220 View attachment 38221

Hey man was that Tuesday you dropped it off? I was the one behind you who asked if it was an Arsenal ( didn't get a good look).
Gotta agree, it looked better before. Also a second on Lauer, if prepped right it looks good and mine have been very durable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom