Bad Winchester Ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntingfool13

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know I am new but saw this area thought might be a good place to ask.
Has any one else here had problems with duds in brand new ammo. Yesterday at the range I had 3 duds in a brand new box of Winchester Ballistic Silver tip ammo
in 308. Still have 11 Cartridges left wonder about those. Glad it was the range and not in the deer woods.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What type of firearm are you shooting? Three rounds out of a box of 20 is a high failure rate. What would concern me here is a problem with my rifles ignition system, ie firing pin, hammer spring, etc.

Assuming you have no problems with the firearm, I would contact Winchester with the lot number off the box and ask for a refund.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I was out with some amigo over the weekend ad one did have a dud Winchester 150 gr Supreme ballistic tip out of 6 he shot. Tried the cartridge twice and no light! Sounds like they put out a bad lot!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My guns don't group factory ammo worth a darn.
I noticed this around 2009 with my 30-30 Store ammo i just got would not hit paper at 100 when the ammo i had from 1980 would give 1.5-1.75" groups at 100 yards..same brand different year..actually tried 2 brands and both sucked.
made me start reloading for all my guns..except 22lr.

Best way to get good brass for reloading is to shoot factory ammo.
Well if it goes off in your case.
Neighbor had some split necks after shooting Hornady superformance 30-30 factory ammo.
I contacted Hornady they wanted the ammo and any brass he had, he sent in the rest of what he had and Hornady sent him 2 new boxes for free and a return shipping label..
He was to shoot 1 box and send it in to them and keep the other box for whatever he wished to do with them.

NO split necks in either box he was sent..
Crap happens sometimes...

Latest posts

Top Bottom