Bailing out Florida again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From an article that I read somewhere, the only reason Biden is finishing that wall is because a Democrat member of the House of Representatives representing Arizona is not fairing so well in polling for reelection. He is finishing the wall so the congressman can say that he had a hand in it.
It matters little to me who builds that wall or the political BS involved, only that our Southern boarder does get secured against entry by those unauthorized to do so. It should not be political but based on National security reasons.

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It matters little to me why that wall is built, only that our Southern boarder does get secured against entry by those unauthorized to do so. It should not be political but based on National security reasons.

I agree that the wall should be built, but I question whether the wall being built by Biden is really being built to the best of standards.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree that the wall should be built, but I question whether the wall being built by Biden is really being built to the best of standards.
President Biden is not building a wall and even if he was it would be constructed by contractors paid for by funds allocated by Congress, whom hold the purse strings. Vote enough funds (or pressure your representatives to vote enough funds) and a good wall will be built.

ICanFixIt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are a few random pieces of information about Florida, hurricanes and insurance that I experienced. I owned a home in Florida during hurricane Michael. The deductible on my policy was $5,000. If damage was caused by a "named storm", the deductible went to $10,000. Contents deductible also went to an additional $5,000. As I was 18 feet above sea level, I did not have any flood coverage.

When we initially bought insurance for that house, we were told that State Farm would not insure us because they didn't write policies on property that was less than 1 mile from salt water.

The replacement roof cost $17,200 and was, in my opinion, not very well done. As a comparison, I re-roofed my house in Oklahoma last fall with Class 4 roofing and the total cost was under $10,000. both houses were similar size.

The insurance company I had in Florida went "belly-up" within a year of Hurricane Michael.

Four years after the hurricane, some of our Florida friends are still waiting for work to be completed on their homes, so they are still living in temporary housing. Even with all of the frustrations we had in getting everything repaired/replaced/restored we realize that we were incredibly fortunate in getting everything resolved in under 8 months.

For purposes of determining eligibility for "temporary housing" coverage, not having running water qualified. Not having electric power did NOT qualify.

We had 27 large trees on our city lot that were blown down or otherwise damaged beyond repair. We learned that the $60,000 debris removal coverage on our insurance policy did not cover trees. We were totally responsible for that part of the clean-up. Surprisingly, the 13 palm trees we had all survived.

Other random observations include:
Crooks and shysters descended on our town like flies to dung. We called them "carpetbaggers". There were a few good people who actually came to town to help.
FEMA should be immediately dis-banded. All of their employees should have to get a real job (NOT a transfer to some other area in government.).
The Billy Graham group, Samaritan's Purse, is, hands-down, the best and most effective relief agency I was aware of.
Not having cell-phone service was the biggest inconvenience. We had to drive about 40 miles to get service. It was over 48 hours before we could let our family know we were OK.
We were very well prepared with water, fuel, food, generator, tools and knowledge about what to do. 95% of the people were not. They suffered for that failure. We helped them where we could, but, our first responsibility was for our own recovery.
Lowe's gave away 5 gallon buckets with 2 bags of ice in them. That ice was close to the value of gold.
The #1 business we wanted to see re-open was Wal-Mart.
Yes, some affluent people were able to abuse the system. Think about it. Has it ever been otherwise?

Trooper Joe

Marksman
Reaction score
Here are a few random pieces of information about Florida, hurricanes and insurance that I experienced. I owned a home in Florida during hurricane Michael. The deductible on my policy was $5,000. If damage was caused by a "named storm", the deductible went to $10,000. Contents deductible also went to an additional $5,000. As I was 18 feet above sea level, I did not have any flood coverage.

When we initially bought insurance for that house, we were told that State Farm would not insure us because they didn't write policies on property that was less than 1 mile from salt water.

The replacement roof cost $17,200 and was, in my opinion, not very well done. As a comparison, I re-roofed my house in Oklahoma last fall with Class 4 roofing and the total cost was under $10,000. both houses were similar size.

The insurance company I had in Florida went "belly-up" within a year of Hurricane Michael.

Four years after the hurricane, some of our Florida friends are still waiting for work to be completed on their homes, so they are still living in temporary housing. Even with all of the frustrations we had in getting everything repaired/replaced/restored we realize that we were incredibly fortunate in getting everything resolved in under 8 months.

For purposes of determining eligibility for "temporary housing" coverage, not having running water qualified. Not having electric power did NOT qualify.

We had 27 large trees on our city lot that were blown down or otherwise damaged beyond repair. We learned that the $60,000 debris removal coverage on our insurance policy did not cover trees. We were totally responsible for that part of the clean-up. Surprisingly, the 13 palm trees we had all survived.

Crooks and shysters descended on our town like flies to dung. We called them "carpetbaggers". There were a few good people who actually came to town to help.
FEMA should be immediately dis-banded. All of their employees should have to get a real job (NOT a transfer to some other area in government.).
The Billy Graham group, Samaritan's Purse, is, hands-down, the best and most effective relief agency I was aware of.
Not having cell-phone service was the biggest inconvenience. We had to drive about 40 miles to get service. It was over 48 hours before we could let our family know we were OK.
We were very well prepared with water, fuel, food, generator, tools and knowledge about what to do. 95% of the people were not. They suffered for that failure. We helped them where we could, but, our first responsibility was for our own recovery.
Lowe's gave away 5 gallon buckets with 2 bags of ice in them. That ice was close to the value of gold.
Yes, some affluent people were able to abuse the system. Think about it. Has it ever been otherwise?
I agree with your observations especially:

…”FEMA should be immediately dis-banded. All of their employees should have to get a real job (NOT a transfer to some other area in government.). “…

I guess I was a really slow learner (over 20 years of FEMA deployments never were as rewarding as my time as a State Trooper). When I was a Trooper I remember many times where I and my colleagues would “volunteer” time to help out citizens. If you tried that with FEMA you were hollered at for not ”staying in your lane”. My last deployment last fall in southern Mississippi, involved sitting in a high school event center and only speaking with three survivors in two weeks. We were prohibited from going door to door to try and find survivors because it was thought that “the optics would look bad”.

Trooper Joe

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand the post, however, even in the state of Oklahoma our homes, cars, and businesses get destroyed annually.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

And who said the number (13), palm trees, was unlucky?

Latest posts

Top Bottom