Bailing out Florida again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did. That is probably why I stopped responding. It is absolutely obscene the amount of federal money that gets dumped into these responses time after time. I guess the old saying that FEMA actually stands for “Free Easy Money Amigo” is still alive and well. 😏
I rather spend the money here tha send it to Ukraine

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sanibel is a barrier island. Barrier islands were probably meant to protect the mainland not to build communities on them that are very risk prone.

A very important part of emergency management is mitigation. Mitigation is any activity meant to decrease destruction from these recurring disasters. I don’t think we are doing a very good job with mitigation.

Just some thoughts.

It's not your job to decide where people can build or not build on property they own. That's not mitigation.

Just some thoughts...

Trooper Joe

Marksman
Reaction score
It's not your job to decide where people can build or not build on property they own. That's not mitigation.

Just some thoughts...
I remember years ago there was a catastrophic flood in Rapid City SD. Evidently, this had occurred in the same area a number of times in the past. Instead of rebuilding in the flood plain, the city used mitigation funds to buy out private property and made a beautiful park in this area.

After that, the park area flooded a few times, dried out, all with no more expensive rebuilding of homes and businesses. Problem solved.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, then, the city owned the property. The voters elected those that made those decisions. A federal bureaucrat didn't wander into town and decide what to do.

It's not your job to tell people how and where to live. It's also not FEMAs job. I get it. You think you know better than everyone else how and where they should live their lives. You don't. And you're not going to convince me you do.

You're an advocate of big gov't telling people what to do. I'm not and never will be. You're entitled to your views but you're not entitled to having others agree with you. I don't play well with people like you.

Trooper Joe

Marksman
Reaction score
I think people should live where they want. If they choose to live in harms way, it is only reasonable that they accept the risks also.

I wonder if someone can point to any mitigation program in Florida like this example I mentioned in South Dakota:

Flood-plain management program in Rapid City, South Dakota​

• P. Rahn
  • Published 1 July 1984
  • Environmental Science
  • Geological Society of America Bulletin
Following the devastating flood of June 9, 1972, Rapid City, South Dakota, embarked on a flood-plain management program. A “flood-way” was delineated and all homes and motels, as well as most commercial establishments, were removed from the floodway. Almost the entire area inundated by the 1972 flood is now a beautiful park, illustrating that man can live in harmony with natural processes without spending vast sums of money for hard engineering structures such as dams or levees.

Latest posts

Top Bottom