Baitcaster vs Spinning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbowe91

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The biggest thing that helped me was to adjust the brake so with my rod at 45 degree angle, hit the release button and when the bait hit the ground the line stopped coming off of the reel.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use 20 lb braid on my lightest stuff.
50 and 65 on all other reels.
I am not after skittish fish though..I like the 20lb for jig fishing..as i can usually straighten the hook when I get hung up.. and get the lure back.. recurve the hook and back to fishing.

My Braid lasts for years before I need to respool... usually breaking off the line gets shorter and shorter.
When i can cast about all the line off the reel time to respool.

Usually can cast 95 yards of line.
Those 150 yard spools are not large enough.
Some of my reels will hold 600 yards of 65 lb braid.
I know you guys have larger reels.

I use one bait caster for marking distances..each 100 yards on the reel there is a loop in the string.
Stretch it out across a pipe line or field and get your distances for shooting..Poor boy range finder.

Of course mark the spots with something.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My Braid lasts for years before I need to respool... usually breaking off the line gets shorter and shorter.
When i can cast about all the line off the reel time to respool.

Same here, and I am starting to spool all my spinning reels with braid and then use mono or fluro leaders.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used a lot of different baitcasters, owned 3, a German Quick, Japanese shimano and recently a Johnny Morris that cost over $300 and has the smoothest retrieve of any one I've ever tried. I use them for vertical jigging and trolling. Had a dozen people tune them, and it still casts like throwing a heavy rock. I'll keep my spinning reels for everything else.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Abu Garcia 5500C for the past 30 years, fitted with a Fenwick HMG Graphite power #7. I keep this one spooled with 17 lb. Cajun Red...

Other bait casting reels from Lew's, Pfleuger, Diawa, Shimano. Reels are spooled with line from 12 to 150 lb. test...

Fishing 10 to 12 hour days and non stop, bait casters are the way to go...

Spinning reels - micro light for trout with 1 lb. line, all the way up to the heavy weights with 300 lb. line for marlin and shark...

Each reel type has its own place for use and wither one will allow for open casts out to 100+ yards - depending on your specific setup...

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, just 5 or 6 years. :)

There are several benefits to a baitcaster, but it depends on how you're using them. You tend to have greater line capacity and drag capability for the size and weight vs. spinning. The biggest benefit is pinpoint accuracy when casting to visible structure, and the ability to deliver a soft presentation if the fish are skittish.

The benefits to a spinning reel are they're less finicky casting into the wind, and it's much easier to fish them deep such as drop shotting for smallmouth or jigging spoons for hybrids in 15-40 feet of water. I'll throw them up in the air a bit so as to get a faster vertical presentation. Also, you can generally keep the drag cranked down on spinning reels without the drag discs getting warped. It's best to back off the drag on most baitcasters when you're not using them to keep the drag smooth and even.

Shimano used to have a lock on the best baitcasters, but they lost market share when they moved manufacturing from Japan to China. People still pay a premium for the "Made in Japan" Curado's and Chronarch's. Right now the baitcasters I like most are the Abu Revo & Orra models, along with the Lew's Tournament MB. I also have several Silver Max reels and they work better than their price range suggests. I do find that the newer Max models are more finicky on setting the spool tension knob to avoid backlash. The older round Max reels had a high speed line guide that would sort of cross wrap the line around the spool, which reduced line capacity but greatly reduced backlashes. I have a Black Max 1600 on a ML 6'10" Falcon rod that will cast even light crankbaits far into the wind without backlashing.

The trick is to rely more on the tension knob than the magnetic drag, except when casting into the wind. You'll find that with lighter lures tend to develop a backlash more in the middle of the cast, while heavier lures will do it near the beginning. That's because of when the rod tip recoils before coming to rest. By timing when your thumb finesses the spool speed, you'll have more line control. A lot of users only apply their thumb to control the lure presentation, but using it to control line speed will save you from a lot of backlashes.

Hope this helps and good luck! :)
Lots of good info here. I'll add that, with practice, one can learn to back off the cast controls and control backlash via thumbing the spool. In that way, you can control for bait size/weight, wind, rod, and all other things that can affect casting; while simultaneously casting very long distances.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I run a lot of Shimano Chronarch's E series. I have several Chronarch Aldebaran's. Some Chronarch C4i's. An Abu Garcia Revo MGx that is super light as well, 5.6oz, I believe. And a few Okuma Helios. Mostly on Kistler Z-bone rods or Falcon Cara's. I really like lightweight combo's. Several of my Aldebaran/Z-bone combos weight less than 9 oz. For spinning reels like like the Pflueger Patriarch XT. One of the lightest on the market. Paired with a Z-bone or Cara and you've got a great spinning rig.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I picked up a Shimano Caius, it's an entry level reel but it's a whole lot better than my Abu Black Max. I can cast everything from weightless Senkos to big Spook topwaters very easily. And it casts a mile.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't use anything but a bait caster now days , I buy every chronarch in the style that I like when they come up on eBay ...just misssd one today for 200

Latest posts

Top Bottom