Ballistics Gel Testing Results

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good morning gents and gals!
I’ve been compiling a fairly large amount of ballistics gel testing results and figured I wools share them with everyone. However, there’s a lot of them from 22 short to 375HH and 4570+P, so I am not sure how to get them all posted without clogging the feed. They are all in picture format. Any ideas on the best way to do so? A single post would not work because there are just too many and it would be hell to navigate. I’m tempted to make one post for each caliber and then post all results for that caliber, and then others could also add their results they’ve seen with their loads and such as well. Basically to make it a decent “reference guide” for people debating which ammo or projectiles to use for their purposes. I am open to suggestions! Currently I have, I think, 30-40 calibers tested across rifle and pistol. Mostly handloads but some factory as well. The results look like the attached pictures. (Most pistol do not have gel damage pictures as the test was more anting to know what the gel did to the bullet, rather than bullet did to the gel. Most rifle have gel damage pictures as below)

also, if you don’t think that the data would be of enough benefit to justify the clogging of the feed, feel free to let me know as well. Just trying to share some results with the community!

have a swell rest of the day!

Attachments

• D03CCBAD-524A-499F-A67A-429AB890F4D5.jpeg
    D03CCBAD-524A-499F-A67A-429AB890F4D5.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 24
  • D14DB4AC-10C8-4049-B008-5F6C692C3082.jpeg
    D14DB4AC-10C8-4049-B008-5F6C692C3082.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 19
  • AFF35790-5864-4BD6-8350-55D0CF08A41E.jpeg
    AFF35790-5864-4BD6-8350-55D0CF08A41E.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 21

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe find an online host like OneDrive, or I think Google might have a free host, then just post links to them? @TerryMiller does something like that with his photos, I'm not sure if he has to pay for the host or not.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe find an online host like OneDrive, or I think Google might have a free host, then just post links to them? @TerryMiller does something like that with his photos, I'm not sure if he has to pay for the host or not.

Yes, I do pay a fee to use Smugmug for my photos. Smugmug has four different levels to their "plans," with the two most expensive being set to where one can sell their photos. I'm on the second tier down, but I've never set it up for selling.

Way back when, I used to use Photobucket, primarily to "host" the photos so I could post them to forums. After a number of years, Photobucket contacted me and told me that if I was going to continue using them for "photo hosting," I would have to pay them $400 a year for doing it. At that time, Smugmug's most expensive plan was only $300, so I deleted all my photos off of Photobucket.

The difference between the free sites and Smugmug is that I can "embed" the photos into a forum comment and viewers can click on the image and be directed to that photo on my Smugmug account and see it larger.

Moparman485

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I do pay a fee to use Smugmug for my photos. Smugmug has four different levels to their "plans," with the two most expensive being set to where one can sell their photos. I'm on the second tier down, but I've never set it up for selling.

Way back when, I used to use Photobucket, primarily to "host" the photos so I could post them to forums. After a number of years, Photobucket contacted me and told me that if I was going to continue using them for "photo hosting," I would have to pay them $400 a year for doing it. At that time, Smugmug's most expensive plan was only $300, so I deleted all my photos off of Photobucket.

The difference between the free sites and Smugmug is that I can "embed" the photos into a forum comment and viewers can click on the image and be directed to that photo on my Smugmug account and see it larger.
Is there any benefit of using an outside host versus just uploading and embedding the pictures to the comments like I did above? Ill Be honest, I used to be tech savvy, but nowadays I get frustrated just pairing my TV remotes. Haha. So although I’m not “truly green” I’m essentially greener than a bell pepper

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow! You’ve spent some time collecting data. How did you go about about collecting your data? People will probably want to know about the gel you used and if it was calibrated, etc.

Moparman485

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow! You’ve spent some time collecting data. How did you go about about collecting your data? People will probably want to know about the gel you used and if it was calibrated, etc.
Oh I planned to post explainers on each post/string if I went that route.

the gel I used was 20% made by mixing unflavored Knox gelatin and water (and added a few drops of cinnamon oil to prolong its useful life and help make it smell less like a rotting wet dog). I calibrated the first few blocks, but after it consistently was performing the same after each remelt, I stopped calibrating each trip since it was identical mix and identical sizes. Most pistols were tested at 5 feet, rimfire rifles at 10 feet, pistol cal carbines at 25 yards, and all other rifles at 25 yards. Velocities obtained were all taken at the same time using my shooting chrony beta at 10ft distance

I also plan to test mini shell bird shot, buckshot, and slugs, against regular size bird shot, buckshot, and slugs as well at 10yds to get a good idea of what is best for home defense and what damage they actually confer upon the gel/attacker.

it’s not the most scientific or beyond reproach method, but I’ve found it super helpful to myself and friends when wondering about expected bullet performance on game.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there any benefit of using an outside host versus just uploading and embedding the pictures to the comments like I did above? Ill Be honest, I used to be tech savvy, but nowadays I get frustrated just pairing my TV remotes. Haha. So although I’m not “truly green” I’m essentially greener than a bell pepper

I went to outside hosting because on some forums where I participate, it is much more difficult to post pictures directly from my computer. If they are complicated, I tend to use the outside hosting instead. That said, "FREE" is better than paying for a service.

Moparman485

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went to outside hosting because on some forums where I participate, it is much more difficult to post pictures directly from my computer. If they are complicated, I tend to use the outside hosting instead. That said, "FREE" is better than paying for a service.
Oh ok. Gotcha. Yeah I primarily would/do use my phone to use the forums (I spend too much time staring at my work computer screen so once I clock out, I try to avoid big screens like the plague haha).

Latest posts

Top Bottom