Baofeng UV-5R, Ham Radio, What can I listen in on in OKC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a Baofeng uv-5r 8w pro set last year thinking that I could find info on how to get started on the web but couldn't find much understandable guidance. Where can I find information to get started?
There is a lot of info on google . The learning curve is not that high. Once you figure out how to program simplex and then program a repeater you will have a lot of time wrapped up in figuring out which repeater actually work and which you cannot reach now but can in your travels ........... Keep it real simple at first and the other stuff will start falling in place...

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.aganzstore.com/store/p/baofeng-radio-programming-file

I’m just sharing the link above for folks to look into who asked, but I haven’t used him so I can’t comment. I know he was actively offering this service on IG a few years ago but his page is now mostly just personal stuff; I don’t think he does the programming anymore if I had to guess. I don’t really understand it anyway, it was just a site I saved if I ever had time to dig into it.

I know nothing about any of this, and am interested for the same reason as mulberry, to have the hardware and the basic working knowledge of an alternative means of communication if primary is unavailable. Maybe some day I’d want to get licensed, but I’ve got way too much to do to entertain it now. I mainly would just like to be able to have some means of communication with my family if cell phones went down, and then later to maintain contact with the rest of the world if it wasn’t just a short lived situation. I guess call me a “pirate” if you want for that but I’d hardly be using it disrespectfully or as a nuisance to anyone.

The decentralized WiFi sounds really cool, I’d love to learn about that too.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.arednmesh.org/
Have been looking at this wifi mesh, if you have a group of folks local this could be put to good use .
Here in OKC the W5GDL tower has a supernode set up. I spent a LOT of money on watch crap or I would have already started jumping down this rabbit hole.... It is all low power , so solar is doable. Preppers are probably all over this deal.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For those wanting to use amateur radio without a license in the case of emergency, the FCC allows:

§ 97.403 Safety of life and protection of property.​

No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station of any means of radiocommunication at its disposal to provide essential communication needs in connection with the immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of property when normal communication systems are not available.

§ 97.405 Station in distress.​

(a) No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station in distress of any means at its disposal to attract attention, make known its condition and location, and obtain assistance.
(b) No provision of these rules prevents the use by a station, in the exceptional circumstances described in paragraph (a)of this section, of any means of radiocommunications at its disposal to assist a station in distress.

In other words, use of an Amateur Radio or the Amateur Radio Bands is not prohibited in a bonafide emergency.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think Edmond is on that system now also. I was disappointed when they changed over I had to buy a digital scanner.

They aren't. They are working on moving over to it though from OKWIN, as well as UCO and MWC but Edmonds contract is not in place. Del City will stay on OKWIN. OKWIN is now P25 Phase II in the metro, not sure if they turned encryption on yet or not. My office may or may not have a room housing OKC's P25 system. This list is pretty accurate. If they are dispatched by Oklahoma County, then they are on the OKC Metro Public Safety System, which will be turning encryption on shortly.

https://www.radioreference.com/db/browse/ctid/2182