Baofeng UV-5R, Ham Radio, What can I listen in on in OKC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s actually pretty cool. I didn’t know that could happen. With that said you would think communications to space would be more secure.
It was the 1960's though, all communications were analog then. As for the cell question and astronauts, I do not think talking to an astronaut by cell phone is unreasonable, I think it is possible in a round about way. Mission control can patch a radio transmission from radio to a cell. We are accustomed to seeing the families of astronauts talking with their family member at mission control in a glass booth with stadium seating through movies and TV, but with today's tech quite possible. Cell to Cell in space, I think not. The geometry of the cell towers would not work, and the range of the cell phone.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what’s the point in the license if they do not pursue it? Same with cb. I didn’t even know you had to have a license for cb.
Seems like the government really worried about long ago and not so much now. How many ppl has actually prosecuted or in trouble for actually using the radios?
These are genuine questions I have.
Seems drivers license are more regulated than ham license.
Because any of us with a license will refuse to talk to you without a call sign.

Licenses are stupid easy to get now, there are literally 5 year olds with tech licenses.

Also, the things you learn getting a license make the technology actually useful. Learn what bands you can actually use, how antennas work, what an offset and a PL tone is, how skip works, etc.

No actual ham will acknowledge an unlicensed pirate, you'll be talking to yourself.

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Because any of us with a license will refuse to talk to you without a call sign.

Licenses are stupid easy to get now, there are literally 5 year olds with tech licenses.

Also, the things you learn getting a license make the technology actually useful. Learn what bands you can actually use, how antennas work, what an offset and a PL tone is, how skip works, etc.

No actual ham will acknowledge an unlicensed pirate, you'll be talking to yourself.
Very Well put. Thank you.
I didn’t realize it was that easy to get.
Where is a good place to study or take the test?
What is a good “starter” radio to get “and” advance with?

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was the 1960's though, all communications were analog then. As for the cell question and astronauts, I do not think talking to an astronaut by cell phone is unreasonable, I think it is possible in a round about way. Mission control can patch a radio transmission from radio to a cell. We are accustomed to seeing the families of astronauts talking with their family member at mission control in a glass booth with stadium seating through movies and TV, but with today's tech quite possible. Cell to Cell in space, I think not. The geometry of the cell towers would not work, and the range of the cell phone.
Correct me if I’m wrong, I may be,
Cell signals is just a radio frequency at high speed? Faster than what ham radios can transmit?

Last edited:

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If a cell tower goes down, obviously you lose cell phone connection.
What can cause radio signals to drop? I know you guys talk about repeaters in certain areas, but are there radio towers like cell phone towers?
The other day when cell phones went out did radio guys loose their signals?

Reason for the question-
When cell signal went out it got me thinking even more about communications. Iv been kicking it around for about a year and it’s went to know where.
It seems as if they can cut cell phone usage out with just a flip of the switch? Can radios be done the same way?

I may be asking repetitive questions but it’s how I learn.

Raptor62

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If a cell tower goes down, obviously you lose cell phone connection.
What can cause radio signals to drop? I know you guys talk about repeaters in certain areas, but are there radio towers like cell phone towers?
The other day when cell phones went out did radio guys loose their signals?

Reason for the question-
When cell signal went out it got me thinking even more about communications. Iv been kicking it around for about a year and it’s went to know where.
It seems as if they can cut cell phone usage out with just a flip of the switch? Can radios be done the same way?

I may be asking repetitive questions but it’s how I learn.
Probably 30 ham repeaters in OKC area possibly more.. Many have backup power due to our storm season. No we did not lose communications when att was out. Direct radio to radio communications can be lost due to solar flares but usually only a few hours.