before and after

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
half a bucket of wheel weights turned into boolits

i977.photobucket.com_albums_ae253_dlbleak_P7020505.jpg

i977.photobucket.com_albums_ae253_dlbleak_P7020506.jpg

thats how to load for $2.50 a box or less

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
take your pure lead to a recycler and trade for wheel weight. they are getting a good deal and you are getting what you need. never timed the process, once you get in the mode(and a couple of beers on a hot day) it goes fairly quick. i didn't count but looks like a couple hundred rounds of 38 and 45 each.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks nice! How long did that take?

I need to find a source of harder lead to alloy mine with. What I have is nearly pure lead.

Ive been looking into this myself. Google for people adding Pewter. It can be found fairly cheaply in various forms at garage sales and the salvation army

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's an article from lasc.net about Super Hard Alloy. http://www.lasc.us/SuperHard.htm

Super Hard is a 70% lead (Pb), 30% antimony (Sb) alloy that is used to increase the antimony percentage (harden the alloy) of your current lead supply such as clip-on and stick-on (tape type) wheel weight, plumbers lead, sheet lead and many other lead alloys. It is made with virgin metals, not from scrap metals so you are adding perfectly "clean", new alloy to your casting pot. With the addition of pure bar tin from Roto Metals the sky is the limit and you take control of your casting alloys, even with many scrap lead alloys.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a question the bullits i buy have a seal do these not need a seal

i will lightly roll these in lee "alox" bullet lube and run through a sizer. after that i may lightly lube them again.
i use the small die-like single stage sizer that does not luba as it sizes. will add a larger production sizer in the future.
been doing this way for many years and couldn't begin to add up how many hundreds if not thousands i have saved

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i have a question the bullits i buy have a seal do these not need a seal

Do you mean a gas check?

I, too, assume you mean a gas check. If so, that depends entirely on the bullet. Some are designed to take a gas check, while others are 'flat-based,' and do not accept a gas check.

Latest posts

Top Bottom