Benign peroxysmal vertigo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Epley's maneuver will only help of the vertigo/dizziness is from an otolith. Is it worse turning your head one way or the other? If so, then definitely do Epley's, starting with rotation in the worse direction. Good luck man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks Aaron, yeah, I’ll go for months that I can’t lay on my right side. It’s been better over the last few months or so and then this episode.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Hope you get some relief soon. My older lab wet through something similar about 6 months ago, head off to one side, staggering here and there, circled for 5 minutes before laying down, bizarre stuff.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My older lab wet through something similar about 6 months ago, head off to one side, staggering here and there, circled for 5 minutes before laying down, bizarre stuff.

Sorry about your lab, this must be more common than I had thought. Did you find the very easy relief online fix for your dog? Dogs ears are a lot less complex than a humans and usually can be taken care of in just a few minutes every day or so. Here is what works for mine to settle the solid crystals into a non-conflicting location.

1. Lay him on his left side holding his snout outward parallel to the floor to be still and stable in one place for 60 seconds to let the crystals settle in his ear fluid. (I use the timer on my cell phone laying on the floor beside us).
2 Roll him to turn him up on his back, paws in the air (I get over him to do this so he can put his feet on my chest for security and not get distracted, he seems to like that) and hold his snout straight up toward the ceiling very still for another full minute.
3. Roll him over to his right side holding his snout stable for another minute.
4. Finally roll him over to his normal "down" position and let him relax there for about another minute. He always wants to get up at that point and shake his head because it now feels weird to be "normal"

I hope this might help anyone who has a dog who may develop this equilibrium problem of crystals in their ear fluid as they get older. Usually they will quickly get accustomed to you doing this, knowing you are going to help them feel better. Good luck to you.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry about your lab, this must be more common than I had thought. Did you find the very easy relief online fix for your dog? Dogs ears are a lot less complex than a humans and usually can be taken care of in just a few minutes every day or so. Here is what works for mine to settle the solid crystals into a non-conflicting location.

1. Lay him on his left side holding his snout outward parallel to the floor to be still and stable in one place for 60 seconds to let the crystals settle in his ear fluid. (I use the timer on my cell phone laying on the floor beside us).
2 Roll him to turn him up on his back, paws in the air (I get over him to do this so he can put his feet on my chest for security and not get distracted, he seems to like that) and hold his snout straight up toward the ceiling very still for another full minute.
3. Roll him over to his right side holding his snout stable for another minute.
4. Finally roll him over to his normal "down" position and let him relax there for about another minute. He always wants to get up at that point and shake his head because it now feels weird to be "normal"

I hope this might help anyone who has a dog who may develop this equilibrium problem of crystals in their ear fluid as they get older. Usually they will quickly get accustomed to you doing this, knowing you are going to help them feel better. Good luck to you.

Called the vet and she gave him something for allergies and it was gone the next day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom