Beretta U22 NEOS stays cocked?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadpool405

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
A little confused, my Beretta U22 NEOS stays cocked after firing the last round of the magazine. I thought about just pulling the trigger to leave it uncocked when not loaded, but doesn't dry firing it damage the pin? I am going to look for some snap caps tonight after work so i can practice trigger pull and be able to pull the trigger without damaging the gun, but would like to know if it is harmful to the gun to leave it cocked?

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I might be missing what you are saying but, every semi auto pistol that I know of stays cocked after the last round is fired if the slide doesn't lock back. Dry firing rimfires can damage the firing pin, it can also mess up the chamber if you're not careful. As far as snap caps go, I've never used them. I know that some people will use a small plastic wall anchor for a "snap cap". Take a .22 rimfire round into Home Depot and find the right size anchor. Here is a link... http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?108194-22-snap-caps-from-wall-anchors
As far as hurting your pistol by leaving it cocked, make sure it is unloaded, point it in a safe direction, pull the slide back a little and pull the trigger. Some .22s will fire slightly out of battery. This will take most if not all pressure off of the firing pin when you pull the trigger or just leave it cocked I doubt it will hurt anything.
One question, why dry fire a .22. Just go to the range and shoot the holy moly out of it.

Deadpool405

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I picked up some of those wall anchors on my way home from work today, I tried one and it doesn't seem that it really is protecting the pin to me, still sounds like metal on metal when I pull the trigger. Maybe I am just being paranoid but I do not see any damage to the end of the wall anchor either and I don't want to harm my gun.

What is confusing me is in the "Storage" section of the manual, it state: Point the muzzle in a safe direction and decock the pistol by pulling the trigger. The website says to never dry fire the pistol, wtf!? Way to contradict yourself there Beretta.

Wish I could make it to the range more often, but being a single father it is hard to find the time to go, they really need to have a playground or play room at the range, hahaha!

Seth247

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there any wear on the chamber face where the firing pin would be striking without a round inserted? If not, then your rimfire is probly designed with a firing pin block that keeps it from striking the breach face. If there is, then snap caps are the only route if you are worried about leaving the gun cocked, I wouldn't be.

Latest posts

Top Bottom