Best 223 Powder?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As others have said, Tac or 748 for powder measure loads. Varget for individually weighed charges and optimum accuracy for 223. I scored some H335 that looks pretty good on paper but I haven't worked up any loads yet. Tac meters very well and I have gotten sub-MOA loads in my AR's.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's the other side to this equation - what powder can you get your hands on that works well for 223? There are quite a few available, but my go-to powders for 223 are no-where to be found... IMR4895 (>55 grain bullet) and Alliant Power Pro 1200-R (<55 grain bullet) are what I have on hand (and readily available) to try next...

We gotta do what we gotta do. I haven't been lucky enough to score AA2230 or BLC2 in several years now. I've got a fair amount loaded, but I almost hate to shoot it since I'll have to work up another load with something else if I do. 2230 has got me the best velocity of anything I've tried yet, and accuracy, while might be beat by a stick powder, it still does 1 MOA out of my rifles so it's my goto. Works for me but if this nonsense keeps up I'm going to have to find another.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was in their warehouse about a month ago when their website said they had no powder.

There were thousands of 1lb containers of powder on the shelves sorted by manufacturer.

I asked about it, and they said it would all be gone to distributors in a couple of days, and it keeps coming in to them, but the individual buyer doesn't have much chance to get their hands on any now unless you get lucky and catch it on their FB page.

I vented my displeasure with this to them as well. I don't and won't use FB for anything.

tbowe91

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It depends on what you are loading on (equipment), and what you are trying to do with the ammo. For a progressive loader or using a powder meter, I like H-335, it flows through a meter like water and works good with most bullet weights from 50 to 62ish grains. AA2230 would be a close #2 for same set up. If you are wanting to load heavier bullets than 62's I would look to Varget, but is doesn't meter as well. When I am loading heavier than 62's it's one at a time with a scale so I am measuring each powder charge. 223 is pretty easy to load for, and a ton of powders will work. Right now it depends more on what you can find.

Redding Big Boss II Single stage, older rcbs powder measure and other rcbs components . For my other reloads, have been measuring using the balance beam scale. I did get a pound of IMR 8208 xbr today to try. Will keep an eye out for the others.

Harp13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Found some IMR 4895 available today. I have recently started reloading .40 S&W and just now getting the equipment together to start loading .223.

Latest posts

Top Bottom