powder and primer storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am beginning to gather stuff for reworking my reloading area. Currently my powder and primers are just stored (separately) in cabinets under the workbench. How are you all storing your flammables?

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a pretty good supply of components and am now using primers purchased in 2019. If the wife ever found out how much powder I have, she would immediately call the fire department.

I store primers and powder in climate controlled area but away from each other. I try to avoid ammo boxes or other containers that might allow pressure to build in case of a fire. Powder is in several cardboard boxes (labeled hunting clothes), in the back of a seldom used closet.

I reload in the garage so I only take out powder and primers for the next month or two.. Once it is in the garage I store both in a styrofoam cooler in an effort to limit temp swings.

Primers are in a different cardboard box in a different area. Same with them, only take what is needed in the next few months to the garage.

Fr Mulcahy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am beginning to gather stuff for reworking my reloading area. Currently my powder and primers are just stored (separately) in cabinets under the workbench. How are you all storing your flammables?
We use a powder magazine to store our powder. The magazine wall thickness is one inch or greater.

We store our primers in a fireproof safe.

There are fire code limitations on the amount of primer and powder that can be stored in the residence. There are also specific requirements regarding the storage of powder. In order to be in compliance with your home insurance, you probably would want to look at that.

I figure it's better to be safe than to be sorry later.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1) In their original packaging, in a cool dry place.
2) in a secure space that prevents access by unauthorized individuals.

Remember, residential security containers (gun safes) have seals that expand when heated.
In a fire, they will seal before the powder cooks off.
The expanding gas will find a dramatic way to vent.
The firefighters are not likely to be happy about that.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what I understand powders are safest stored either on an open shelf or in something like a wooden cabinet. Whatever you do, don’t store powders inside of a sealed container that can build pressure, especially anything metal.

I keep my primers in plastic ammo cans with desiccant packets

DB44

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I understand powders are safest stored either on an open shelf or in something like a wooden cabinet. Whatever you do, don’t store powders inside of a sealed container that can build pressure, especially anything metal.

I keep my primers in plastic ammo cans with desiccant packets
Store in a old dead refrigerator in the garage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom