Best .308 auto loader

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also want a 20 in barrel max and at least 1moa accuracy from the rifle and an AR will not fit that bill.
The DPMS LR-308AP4 with it's 16" barrel that The American Rifleman magazine tested would. They gave it "rifle of the year". It's was several years back so I don't know about now.

But the AR platform shoots MOA with almost boring regularity with quality ammo. Both .223 and .308.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reliability wise it is darn hard to beat an M-14 or HK 91, much better than any AR-10 I have ever seen run...HOWEVER, It would have to be a fairly well built M-14 to attain 1 MOA. Now it is hard to scope an M-14 (never seen a good mount for one that wawsn't welded to the receiver) or HK ( check weld issues. AR-10s will most definetly hold 1 MOA and if they are flat tops very easy to scope...but I haven't seen one run 100% yet, Same goes for the FAL, which is also hard to scope. KurtM

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd look at one of the FAL builders if I was looking for sub MOA accuracy, under 16" barrel and something different / interesting.

What is the intended use for the rifle? If its just trips to the range and plinking paper at various yardages with Iron Sights, there are a number of sub MOA semi-autos out there that will do this. Anything from a Saiga in .308 to an M1A Loaded (if 22" is acceptable), to an FAL (DSA or any number of custom builders - I believe there's a company in Texas called Sledge Hammer that makes pretty awesome rifles).

BIGJAKE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd look at one of the FAL builders if I was looking for sub MOA accuracy, under 16" barrel and something different / interesting.

What is the intended use for the rifle? If its just trips to the range and plinking paper at various yardages with Iron Sights, there are a number of sub MOA semi-autos out there that will do this. Anything from a Saiga in .308 to an M1A Loaded (if 22" is acceptable), to an FAL (DSA or any number of custom builders - I believe there's a company in Texas called Sledge Hammer that makes pretty awesome rifles).

This will be for field use: hogs, deer, coyote to mention a few will be on the menu for this particular rifle. I was reeallt leaning toward the FN AR due to the fact that it fits all of the above criteria that I want. the pnlt draw back that I see so far for it is the cost of the mags but if that is all that is negative about it then I can live with the cost.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You will NOT be happy with an FN FAL....no matter who makes it, but if you want something with iron sights, go with an M-14, If w/ a scope go with an AR-10. KurtM

Latest posts

Top Bottom