Best .308 auto loader

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i would say get the ar-10

i don't remember if it was bushmaster, or rock river, or armalite but one of them uses fn-fal mags that can be had pretty cheap.

but it kinda seems like you keep leaning towards the fnar

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may be mistaken, but the OP is asking about an FNAR not an FN-FAL. Here is an FNAR: http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/family.asp?fid=FNF049&gid=FNG022

[Broken External Image]

I got that - but I'd get a FAL long before I got a re-labeled Winchester :D

[Broken External Image]

I'm not a fan of the FN-AR (or Winchester's very similar looking version). I'm really not a fan of Benelli's odd-ball gun, but I'd presume it to be accurate and reliable enough - just doesn't look very comfortable, light-weight, or practical when it comes to any necessary accessories (its hard to compete with the numerous very popular platforms out there that already do just about everything that needs doing with a semi-auto .308).

Things like scope-bases, different grip (in-case you're unhappy with the factory grip), different stock, spare parts for things like bolt, whatever gas-system the FN-AR uses, etc... tend to add up if you're planning on using the rifle a lot and being comfortable with it. Its even worse when its in a platform that has only the factory to deal with on spare or upgraded parts.

To each his own though, to the OP, if you want to get an FN-AR, then by all means, do so - but in my opinion, there are better, more proven rifle platforms out there for doing what you want it to do.

I'd say a bolt-action will do just about everything you listed if you plan on being stationary or in a stand while hunting - if you're going to be dragging this around, then weight and (semi-auto for Hogs) is obviously a concern and I'll be honest, I have no idea how much an FN-AR weighs.

If I were looking to do what you listed and it involved carrying around the gun, I'd go with the following order:

AR-10
M1A Loaded (probably stainless barrel).
FAL (cause they're cool and have fought against themselves in a war).
Converted Saiga in .308 (only because they're also cool).
Possibly Keltec's RFB (because it's an interesting looking Bullpup that shows some potential).
Possibly an M1 Garand in .308 (I don't know much about these, but it would be damn cool to hunt with a Garand and only have to deal with the recoil of a .308 because let's face it - a Garand needs a wooden buttstock and a steel butt-plate).

Nastymossberg

Marksman
Reaction score
Well I shot an ar 10 this weekend in shawnee and I was really impressed with the accuracy and the recoil. It felt like I was shooting a marlin 795 .22 hardly any recoil. I own a savage .308 and it kicks like a mule. I was able to shoot a 12 gauge shogun shell (empty of course) at 75 yrds with first shot, standing and using remington .308 ammo. And now I must have one. If it were me I'd buy the ar. I'm getting a second job just so I can buy one.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I shot an ar 10 this weekend in shawnee and I was really impressed with the accuracy and the recoil. It felt like I was shooting a marlin 795 .22 hardly any recoil. I own a savage .308 and it kicks like a mule. I was able to shoot a 12 gauge shogun shell (empty of course) at 75 yrds with first shot, standing and using remington .308 ammo. And now I must have one. If it were me I'd buy the ar. I'm getting a second job just so I can buy one.

When that Savage .308 kicks you hard, are you shooting it on your purse-strap shoulder or the other one?

Just kidding, no one get any panties in a wad.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well this is the first I have heard about the FAL reliability issues. I have an old L1A1 that has yet to hiccup on me yet and runs with all ammo I have tried on the third smallest gas opening. YMMV but I like mine. I like my M-14 better but it is harder to scope. I run my M14 scout style with an Aimpoint. My FAL has a replacement top cover with rail and rings, so it gets a traditional scope. I can't really attest to group sizes, though because once they were sighted in I mainly just use them to blow stuff up. I definetly have better guns for making small groups on paper.

Thanks
Evan

Ditto. I've heard nothing but good about FAL reliability, and of those I know who have them love them. Not the most accurate battle rifle of them all with those sights, though.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand that the ones you guys have may be 100%, but the ones I have seen have been being run as hard and as fast as you can for 2-3 mags at a time, and I have yet to see one that didn't have problems.....Now I will say this, I can't vouch for the ammo that was being run through them, it could have been cheapie surplus or crappy handloads. I have seen 15-16 of them over the years in competition and NEVER seen seen one at 100%. And of the 3 I have owned I never had a good one. (One Israili, on FN and one Australian L1A1)

Now with that all said, I WAS being DENSE! I hadn't thought about the FN AR. I was confused (thinking AR-10 or Fn FAL) and went down the wrong road (FN FAL). I don't know about their accuracy, and I don't know much about price/mag cost...etc. BUT I did shoot the DPMS Tri-Gun Challenge with all the team from FN this year and 3 of them were using the FN ARs in .308. I never saw one malfunction and in the relm of accuracy they didn't seem to have much trouble hitting a 10" plate a 200 yards from weird positions on the clock. KurtM

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
DPMS. I forgot the model; TJ Pilling from Tiger Valley told me his would shoot 1/2 groups all day long. He is not you average shooter though. I would also check out their .260 & .243 versions too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom