Best .308 auto loader

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those mentioning the reliability issues with the AR10 platform, what are they? Is it just the feeding from the magazines? I've heard they can be finicky about the mags and the ammo.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well since you asked, they are very unreliable. you have to adjust the gas system for each individual load you want to run through them, and even then they are dicey at best for feeding. I haven't seen one yet that will run 2 magazines without a jam. When they jam, the bolt and carrier mangle the hell out of the recalcitrant cartridge.

Now I will be the first to say they are accurate for what they are. I had an Australian L1A1 that would hold 1 MOA, but it was so unreliable that it had to go. I have found that unless the gas system is fully closed the reliability is crap...when fully closed ( full gas pressure) it is very violent on extraction and has a habit of unlocking prematurely and ripping rims off the empty case.

The stock sights BLOW!! any A2 type sight is better, and the rear sight on an FN is so close to your eye that it will scratch any Glasses all to hell ( ruined a pair of prescription glasses I had at Wimbledon England with an FN, just before the Euro Shotgun Championships)

The bolt carrier is almost twice as heavy as an AR-10's and it thumps the hell out of you on rapid fire. The trigger SUCKS and can't be made much better. Now I still like the FN, I have owned several over the years...but I DON'T OWN ONE NOW!!!

BTW a real good amigo of mine is "THE" sponsored shooter for DSA, and even he doesn't use their FN style rifles!

Don't forget ALL the countries that adapted it weren't shooting countries. The average squadie was lucky to shoot 40 rounds a year....Yes I know a lot of Brits...and all the SAS/SBS guys I know use ARs and M-21s ( yea I have trained a few, but mainly in shotgun)

Feel free to disagree, but you will be unhappy with an FN! KurtM

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well this is the first I have heard about the FAL reliability issues. I have an old L1A1 that has yet to hiccup on me yet and runs with all ammo I have tried on the third smallest gas opening. YMMV but I like mine. I like my M-14 better but it is harder to scope. I run my M14 scout style with an Aimpoint. My FAL has a replacement top cover with rail and rings, so it gets a traditional scope. I can't really attest to group sizes, though because once they were sighted in I mainly just use them to blow stuff up. I definetly have better guns for making small groups on paper.

Thanks
Evan

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This will be for field use: hogs, deer, coyote to mention a few will be on the menu for this particular rifle. I was reeallt leaning toward the FN AR due to the fact that it fits all of the above criteria that I want. the pnlt draw back that I see so far for it is the cost of the mags but if that is all that is negative about it then I can live with the cost.

Benelli R-1.
http://www.impactguns.com/store/benelli_r1_rifles.html

Outdoor America has some on the shelf for fondling...

Latest posts

Top Bottom